What you guys use for fuel filler hose?

For a late beetle/super beetle. Both of my bugs are always stinky from gas. No leaks in tanks, either. The super, still has the vintage system on it for the evaporative controls.......i know i got to get around to replace the vacuum lines on it, but it still reeks of gas. The old filler hose looks a little cracked.

My 74 standard has all the tank vents plugged off, new gas tank, fuel gauge is sealed well, and it reeks of gas, too. I figure it is the filler hose (the one that is about 2" across) NLA everywhere i see.

Help or advice appreciated. Your beetles reek of gas?

Reply to
Vanagon Man

The inner diameter of the stock hose (the large one) is 48 mm. I coulnd't find that size anywhere. There was only 45 mm and

50 mm hose available. I got 50 mm hose from a local hobbyist, who had done his 1303 filler with it. It seals ok if you put the clamps to correct places. A picture of my new hoses:

Olli Lammi

Reply to
Ben Boyle

What size did you use for the smaller filler hose that 'jumps' off the side of the larger filler hose and plugs into the smaller fitting on the tank?(not the vent)

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Linda Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear brakes, "Prowler Purple."

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

The inner diameter of it is 15 mm.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Thanks Olli !! This will help get my '76 Bug back on the road.

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Linda Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear brakes, "Prowler Purple."

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

You might want to unplug your vent ports. About a couple of years ago I discovered the hard way how much suction a little mechanical fuel pump really has when it sucked the bottom part of the gas tank inwards!!! Man, I was going nuts (ask these guys) trying to figure out WHY the car would run out of gas at half tank (the float was hitting the "sucked in" bottom ). To eliminate the gas smell at times I routed the vent port to a hose going under the gas tank, where it could get all the air it needed.

Best thing is to replace all fuel hoses, for a "smell free" ride.

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Reply to
john

Are you talking about the 2" hose that connects the filler pipe to the tank? If so, did you realize that there is supposed to be a special rubber sleeve over the metal ends and under each end of that hose. Without those sleeves these joints will never seal.

I don't know why VW used those extra seals. It always seemed to me that they could have just been left out and the metal tubes made marginally larger.

Those sleeves are still available from VW. Don't try to use an old bicycle tube. The rubber in them is not compatable with gasoline.

The large hoses may also be available from VW, but I've never seen one that was bad.

-

Jim Adney

The PO has installed the bicycle tube seals to mine. No sign of the original sleeves there.

I've seen one. They had long lengthwise cracks visible from inside the hose.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

from careful measurements on my 71 ghia: seems the germans used a "US Standard" size main filler hose (aka 2 inch ID) BUT their welded-on "tank filler necks" were some metric sized OD that 'approached' two inch, but weren't quite. it's my theory that the 'wide rubber band rings' were used to 'make up the difference'...(one can't effectively clamp a large hose over a too-small filler neck without getting 'crinkles and pyramids' under the clamp...)

also, for fellow experimenters: I tried submerging short sections of bicycle tire tube in a bottle of gas for a few weeks, two different brands (probably both chineese? - got them used from a bike store guy-I didn't look too closely). in any event, they both 'expanded somewhat' in the gas, over time...haven't tested them for 'tearability' or 'decomposition' lately, though-they're still submerged, in the bottle, at my shop :-/

Reply to
bill yohler