whats it take to convert AC from R-12 to 134

I have a customer that wants me to convert his ac from R-12 to 134 the conversion kit that the local parts store comes with a screw on tip to charge it but I'm not sure if it goes on the lt ot right connector. has anyone done this conversion? Any info would be greatful.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

What model Benz?

Makes a difference on the compressor the car uses. Here in Fresno Calif, the conversion SUCKS on a

123/126 with the Delco R4 compressor. The car does not cool inside at all, no matter what charge amount of R134a we try. R12 works the best.

Reply to
Karl

Not sure why I wrote "What model Benz?" I meant, What model car?

conversion SUCKS on a

matter what charge

Reply to
Karl

I thought I heard that they were reintroducing a "modified" R12 which is reformulated to make the environmentalists happy AND which isn't as toxic as R134a. Too bad that isn't readily available... bet that would make car conversion a snap.

Reply to
KWW

Read this elsewhere (not my worrds):

  1. "R134a attacks the nitrile butyl rubber found in R12 system hoses."

  1. "R134a requires special carbon-filled iso-butyl rubber parts." (hoses and 0-ring seals used throughout the system)

  2. "The conventional silical gel dessicant used for R12 may break down when exposed to R134a. R134a requires a molecular sieve type dessicant."

  1. "R12 systems use a highly refined mineral oil lubricant. R134a systems use synthetic "PAG" lubricant which can cause swelling or foaming of conventional rubber gaskets and seals used in R12 systems. Be sure to special RBR rubber O-rings during assembly and repairs."

5, "R134a hoses not only have the special RRB rubber, but also have an impermeable inner lining of nylon to reduce seepage of the refrigerant and to prevent moisture entry into the system."

Now even if you spend all the time and money for these special hoses, O-rings, dessicant, etc., you still won't get the cold 37-42 degree F air coming out of your AC vents like you did with R12. You'll get more like 45-55 degree F air, which means the interior of your car will be about

10 degrees warmer on a hot day if you convert to R134a.
Reply to
nospampls2002

Aside from recovery equipment and a license, what is required to make the conversion work well depends on what you're starting with. Knowing that R134a isn't as 'efficient' as R12, condensor size, whatever you're using for an expansion device and other things will play a part in how well the conversion will work.

First step would be to check with the vehicle manufacturer and see if they have any recommendations for the conversion. Second would be to have a good working knowledge of AC.. up to and including things like understanding concepts like superheat..

I've done conversions where vent temp was as good as an R12 system, and I've refused to do conversions where I knew it wouldn't work good.

Stay away from the blends like Freeze12 and the like.. too many headaches.

Jim

Reply to
smile4camera