Whats the deal with stalling??

I test drove a 73 Bug. Nice car. The engine has 100 miles on the rebuild, but the rebuild was done in 1994. It started up perfect, sounded perfect, ran very nice, and very peppy (its a 1776cc). We stopped, left the motor running. I got out, check things out, got in and started driving.It drove really nice, shifted nice, accelerated really smoothly. It seemed that i think 2 times when i came to a stop light, it stalled.I had to restart it Im pretty sure it wasn't my driving. What could be causing this? What should i worry about? Any insight greatly appreciated. Thanks ~Peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Not to worry. Could be as simple as the idle mixture being set incorrectly. There is another very common problem in hot weather: fuel boils in the carb, leading to minor flooding which can stall the engine at idle. Float needle valve not closing tightly can do this too.

Set the idle a little higher and adjust idle mixture. Don't lose any sleep over it...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

thanks for the tips. It wasn't very hot though. So just adjust timing and valves?? How do i mess with the carb?? Thanks ~Peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Get a can of spray carburetor cleaner and while the engine is at idle spray it around the base of the carb, the manifold boots, and around the cylinder covers where the manifold enters the engine. If you get a change in idle while spraying the cleaner you have a vacuum leak. Your gaskets may be leaking from sitting so long and need to be replaced. If the leaking is around the carb and you change the carb to manifold gasket and you still get an idle change then the butterfly shaft is worn and you will have to get it bored and bushed ( just buy a new unit it cost about the same).

Another thought..... Was the car sitting with gas in the tank all this time? If so, you need to get it out of there and replace it with fresh stuff. Old gas even in small amounts can cause problems including tank corrosion that will get junk into the fuel system and really clog things up.

Hope this helps

Mike

Reply to
Mike

thanks for the info, i will try those things. ~Peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Maybe the idle speed needs to be adjusted. Turn the big screw out 1/4 turn and test again. To play it safe do a complete tune up and carb adjustment. Adjust the carb when the engine has warmed up and the oil temp is at least 158 degrees F. TRefer to a Robert Haynes manual for further instructions.

Reply to
Josef

Where can i pick up the haynes manual? Is it better/worse/equal to the muir book? Thanks

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er