Wheel bearing seats

Hi Ramva!

This is my first post here, but I've been reading along for a while now. Hope to find an answer here for my question, so here goes ;-)

I have a 1974 standard beetle on which I'm rebuilding the front axle. But the spindles are causing trouble, I've got 4 of them and all show wear marks on the inner wheel bearing seats. One has pitting and some have a ridge worn in them. Can I reuse these? (I ask this because I'm unable to find new ones here).

I assume these marks are caused by loose bearings, so any tips to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks!

Bas

Reply to
Bas

You mean it looks like the inner bearing (larger one) has had its inner race spinning on the spindle?

I've never seen that, though it's common for the *outer* bearing inner race to spin.

Fit the inner race on the spindle and see how it feels. It should be anything from an easy slip-on to a very light press-fit. But you shouldn't be able to "wobble" it. If there is looseness, you could "knurl" the spindle or LocTite it. I understand that those fixes are not kosher, but they will save a spindle.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I have not seen this on the Type 1s, but on the watercooleds I have changed a lot of spindles where the bearings fused/welded to them due to lack of lubrication.

Or purchase some new/used spindles or purchase a disc brake kit. I think I have some new spindles and some used spindles here somewhere in my pile of junk (your treasure) Just let us know if you want some different ones.

later, dave (>

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes it looks like the inner race was spinning, the outer ones are in better condition. The bearings slip on very easy, but I don't think there's any "wobble". When I install new bearings, I might try the knurling if I can find such a tool.

Bas

Reply to
Bas

Very much appreciated! But I think I'll first try to use the best spindles of the ones I have and see what happens.

Bas

Reply to
Bas

A small sharp chisel/punch along with a hammer and you could make tiny raised spots over the spindle going all the way around it slowly. Then using some special locktite for this purpose assemble it and be happy. You are probably ok reusing your parts.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1