wheel cylinder

I've been losing brake fluid for the past season in my stock 56 oval & finally found the source (well, it really revealed itself). My right front wheel cylinder is now leaking pretty seriously. I've looked at Bentley for "how to" but reading the lack of detail leaves me a little nervous (admittedly have not yet gotten around to Idiot Guide). 1. Would the Bug-Me video offer sufficient how-to even though it deals with later model beetle brakes to increase my comfort level? 2. It would seem to me that I would want to at least replace both front wheel cylinders (or should I only do the right front). Finally, could this have been the source of my car dipping and diving to the left when braking hard (if there is such a thing in an oval) everything else in the car checked out ok (brake adjustment, no binding of the hoses, kingpins replaced, etc).

Thanks. DB

Reply to
DB

Sheeesh! Only a half century lifespan on wheel cylinders? You'd think VW could have done better than that. (Just kidding.)

One leaking wheel cyl is a warning. Heed it. Yes, this is almost certainly the cause of diving to left.

Plan on replacing all 4 wheel cylinders PLUS the master cylinder, plus the 4 brake hoses. And inspect all the steel lines for rust, especially where the line passes under the pedal cluster.

The wheel with the leaker now has a drum which is fluid-soaked; that will either have to be cleaned or replaced. Whether to replace will depend upon the wear the drum measures.

AND the shoes are soaked; replace. Not just that one wheel- both, or maybe all 4.

With the drums off the front, it's time to inspect the wheel bearings. If the races are worn, replace along with the seals.

In the rear, there are oil seals which will need replacement when the drums are off.

While it's possible to learn all the skills involved here from the Idiot book (or a video), color me skeptical.

Honest, I'm not trying to rain on your parade; you have a potentially serious problem and need to address it with care.

Speedy Jim

P.S. There is a highly technical explanation of "pulling to the left" here:

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the response Speedy Jim. I guess it is time for the car to undergo a mechanical restoration (engine in addition to the brake system). I think what I will do is simply take as many photos as I can of the dissassembly process, so that I can follow them for re-assembly. - DB

Reply to
DB

Good rule of thumb is to only take apart one side of the brakes at a time so you can look at the other side to see how it goes back together. Anytime I get a new VW the first thing I check is the brakes and they are usually toast!!

Mac

Reply to
Mac

Yeah that is the best way to do it. I just worked on a 71 Beetle and the brake cable levers/arms were on the wrong sides of the vehicle. This is the first time that I have seen this but lately I seem to find more and more weird stuff lately. So examine parts well and make sure things make sense!

dave

And on those rear seals you'll find that the replacement kit comes with a chintzy metal washer that's about 1/2th the thickness of the original. Throw it away, keep your old ones if they're good (probably not) or find new ones that are the proper thickness. These shitty thin ones deform as soon as you put the proper torque on the rears and then put no pressure on the inner o-ring. Not the end of the world but still bad news and the cause of a weapy seal. And the reason you'll go back in a few months to replace your wet shoes and the seal (again). Good luck and have fun.

-Chip (who still is looking for a source for oe thickness washers.)

'56 ghia, '66 beetle

p.s. Speedy, I met a dude in a yellow (or was it orange?) westy (around a '70/'71) at a home Notre Dame football game who mentioned his "old guru" from Cleveland who worked on his bus. I think you had de-pancaked it recently. Asked him if the name was Speedy Jim, and what do you know, it was. Small world, and I even got to hear the story behind the name.

p.p.s He didn't really call you old.

Reply to
Chip Keller