When an electronic ignition goes.. what?

What symptoms does a whacked electronic ignition have? (Pertronix) Does the engine just stop? Does it misfire insanely? I'm trying like hell to find out what the devil happened to my engine.

Reply to
jjs

Mine just never started again. Mechanic was doing 6-->12 volt conversion on my '63 and using parts off of my '66 that already had 12 volt stuff on it including a Pertronix. I'm pretty sure he fried the Pertronix while doing the conversion so he put "original" 12 volt parts back in to replace it. I took the Pertronix home with me and tried installing it myself but it wouldn't give me any juice at all and I'm sure I hooked it back up the way I had it so I tossed it and stayed with the "original" equipment.

"I can hammer it back into shape later."

Reply to
Shaggie

That's the concensus. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Reply to
jjs

i had a pertronix and it went bad and it would run anymore... put points and condensor back in and it fired right up! im sticking with the points and condensor.. my car was designed and made and has run fine for 38 years with out all that electronic crap... besides i can clean up a set of points in a pinch to get me home ( or put in the spare in the glovebox... they are cheap enough to have a few around)... the petronix left me stranded...

Reply to
dragenwagen

When mine went out the car began to run rough and luckily I was about 2 miles from home so I limped on in. It would start but not run idle smoothly. I finally figured out it had to be ignition so replaced the ignitor with points and condesnor and it took right off. Pertronix was about 4 years old. I replaced the points with a compufire and ran it until I sold the car. I intend to put an ignitor on the Ghia I am restoring now.

Tim Klopfenstein

Reply to
Tim Klopfenstein