Where do I go from here? (After the engine fire.)

After the devastating engine fire in my 73 Super Beetle over the weekend I must now go about rebuilding for the Bug shall rise again. I'm going to put it in storage for the time being but beforehand I'm going to do a thorough cleaning and other preliminary work. My main objective is to stop rust from forming and eating the body. What's going to be the best way to do this? Is there a good cleaner to use? I was thinking about getting primer and POR 15 once I get it cleaned up. Any other precautions/preliminary work I can do?

-Jeff

73 Super Beetle 04 GTI 1.8T Gone but not forgotten: 65 Beetle (Owned for three days.) 86 Jetta Diesel 88 GTI 16v
Reply to
Jeff Rew

...use por 15 only on surfaces you won't be topcaoting later. Go to an auto paint store...they should have spray bombs of a decent epoxy primer. While there pick up som ospho it will kjill the surface rust and p[ick up some red scotch brites. kepp scrubbing the ospho in with the red scotch brite and let sit a few minutes thenb doi again...keep it wet until all the rust is converted. Then prime. I'd top coat it as well even though teh epoxy is decent enough protection to really seal it up until you gbvet bback for a more permament solution. But before ya do any of that...pull the engine out...and strip all the char-board (used top be tarboard() etc out of your way so you can work on all at once. Don't worry about the wiring...you will just need this:

...so cut the charred lump outta your way as well. If, however, you had wiring issues before now is a great excuse to get the full harness and re-do it.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Your engine longblock is probably still good. Your carb, gen, and dist are junk, though. I've seen a car burnt to the floor and the engine case was still good. Pull the motor, and take care of the rust on the car.

Reply to
Zarana-X

Reply to
ilambert

It takes alot of heat to get one going, but when you do, forget putting it out.

Reply to
Kafertoys