Where to buy: Baja body kit for a Super?

I know - "go get an earlier pan", but I'm moving to the N Georgia mountains, and I just want to baja my '72 Super for little or none rough use. I'm sick of not installing the interior because I need new window parts, sick of the thought of buying aftermarket front fenders, sick of the idea of taking it to Maaco. I have no time to do it right, and won't settle for a shoddy resto. I AM sick of beetles, but have too much in this (mechanically) to get rid of it. One example: I have a fiberglass rear apron ready to put on. I thought you just take out a few bolts and slide it onto the old one, but nope! At least I'll have an original Super hood to sell cheap! Sorry for the negative vibes....thanks - paul

Reply to
pmbedard

Don't forget to brace the struts if you want to baja a SB.

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
I'm sick of not installing the interior because I need new window> parts, sick of the thought of buying aftermarket front fenders, sick> of the idea of taking it to Maaco. I have no time to do it right, and> won't settle for a shoddy resto. I AM sick of beetles, but have too> much in this (mechanically) to get rid of it.> One example: I have a fiberglass rear apron ready to put on. I thought> you just take out a few bolts and slide it onto the old one, but nope!> At least I'll have an original Super hood to sell cheap!> Sorry for the negative vibes....thanks - paul
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

sells super-beetle baja stuff. Cant commenton their quality as I havnt used any of their stuff.

Reply to
BugMan

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 00:43:13 GMT, "BugMan" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I haven't used their super-beetle baja stuff but the baja kit I have on my '63 came from them. It's the chopper-gun stuff, and after I bought it I heard a few negative comments about it. It's been on my car about 2 years now and I have nothing negative to say about it. It's pretty tough stuff. I got the extra-thick kit and so far I have one crack on it. It's a small hairline-type of crack on the front nosepiece. It happened on a trail when I ran over a chuck of someone's exhaust system that they'd lost. It got wedged under my car like a pole-vault stick and rather than try to carefully remove it, I used the old "drive it off" technique. That is, I just ignored it and kept driving until it pole-vaulted the front-end of my car a little bit and then slammed and banged around for a few minutes before working its way loose. The kit is very solid but will flex just a tiny bit and has. Here's a good shot of a fender after it flexed out of the way of a pine tree that got a little too close:

(Mark V) sell good stuff and they worked with me when the shipperbroke my hood. From what I hear they only their kits by freighttruck. The hood is a really solid piece but fedex had obviously taken*no* care at all in shipping it. All of the dirty details are on mywebsite. (see URL in signature) Good luck and happy offroading!

Reply to
travis

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 08:22:48 -0400, travis left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Uh... Somehow my signature got changed to "none." Maybe the url will be in my signature now?

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge.

Reply to
travis

You don't particulary need a baja kit for a Super. I'm not real positive on this, I usually just skim over postings about super bajas because I have a standard, but you really don't/can't cut that much off the front as thats what hold the suspension on. I read somewhere that the FG kits mainly just cover whats there. You could save yourself alot of scratch and just cut the fenders up for more clearence in the front. In the back just remove the decklid and cut as much as you want off the rear. For rear fenders you could trim the stock rears or for real clearence/looks take a set cheap beat up fronts and reverse them and cut them to the shape you like. You actually get a cool fender this way and it alot tougher than the F/G with more clearence!

check this one out:

And maybe head over to this board and ask some questions. the owner (Daniel) is usually over there and is very knowledgable about using a Super for a Baja with good results.

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro