2) when the engine is cool/after startup, no noticeable smoke is visible, maybe some slight black smoke.

3) after some time (engine at normal temp, i guess) white smoke (at least more white than blue) comes out of the tail pipe, in bigger quantities when accelerating and also through the dipstick "housing".

4) sparkplugs are like the photos illustrate, but they don't seem oily, just soaked in gas. Cylinder #4 :
#1 :
5) checked the exhaust pipe inner side, doesn't seem oily, just full of carbon deposits

6) about cooling, when I got this vw in my hands, the oil level was barely touching the dipstick. There's also at least 1 tin part (right heat exchanger) missing and the rubber seal around engine is also missing

7) No time yet to check timming, compression or tune carbs, but it sometimes missfires, either cold or hot, at iddle or under acceleration ...

... should I just pull the engine out of the bus and rebuild it or it's worth to try to find the cause of that smoke on someting other than new piston rings and/or valve job? The odometer shows 180k km and I don't know if this is the original engine or if it was rebuilt in the past.

Tks. Regards,

-- Luis

Reply to
luisgois
[IMAGE LINKS FIXED] Hi.

I have this Vanagon restoration project in hands and would like to discuss with all of you whether should the engine be rebuilt or not (CU engine, stock dual solex but modified to dual weber carbs

).

1) there's oil all over the engine compartment, including under the tin:

#1 :
[...]

4) sparkplugs are like the photos illustrate, but they don't seem oily, just soaked in gas. Cylinder #4 :

Cylinder #1 :

carbs

tin:

luisgois