Who wanted to see the TMI carpet installed?

Got my two boxes of TMI carpet for the '69 today. Just got done spending five hours gluing it all in. Still somewhat high from glue fumes. This is the last piece needed to finish the restoration effort on the '69. Gus is a happy VW now!

Used about 1.75 quarts of DAP Weldwood Contact Cement and two 3" cheapie brushes from Lowes.

I got the "Salt and Pepper" carpet from Kustom1 Warehouse (which is close to the OEM grey that was in the car before). Here are a few pics:

Here's the back section and sills in. The glue is down for the front section. (By the way, that's original equipment red basketweave upholstery you see there).

Here's all the carpet in, ready for seats and console to be put back in.
Here's how it looks with the seats and console back in place. Can't wait to see it in natural light tomorrow (i.e. sunlight instead of garage flourescents).
Malcolm '69 Bug (Gus) Now officially COMPLETE! '71 SB (Herbie) Undergoing a 2nd restoration.

Reply to
Malcolm

Check that. In looking at picture #2, I realize I'm still lacking two items to complete the car:

  1. Window crank buffer and spring on passenger door.
  2. Brake warning light in dash.
2a. I might still pursue hooking up the A/C at some point.

OK, so I'm almost done.

Malcolm '69 Bug (Gus) 99.9% restored. '71 SB (Herbie) Working on 2nd restoration.

Reply to
Malcolm

Wow Malcolm. Great job, that looks fantastic. By the way, what kind of stereo is that you have installed? I'm looking for a decent inexpensive unit for my 73. ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

That's a cheapie Jensen unit I picked up at Sears. Can't remember, but I think I paid right around $100 for it.

I'm using an older pair of Radio Shack bookshelf two-way speakers in the luggage well. Eventually, I'm going to get one of those rear well covers with the speaker cutouts and a pair of 6x9's.

Malcolm '69 Bug (Gus) '71 SB (Herbie)

Reply to
Malcolm