Whoo-hoo! The Wonderbus's new engine has landed

In a rear wheel drive car, such as the ACVWs, downshifting too early will have the same effect as pulling the handbrake ;-) , especially on a stock engine or an engine with a stock weight flywheel. From the sudden braking, the weight of the car is transfered to the front wheels, and the rear wheels break loose easily. The engine won't have the time to rise the rpms considerably.

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Bill you are correct....we call that a redneck compression test.......but i don't fully agree with you on it...with the weight of the drivetrain the vw can and *will* over-rev when downshifted too early...now "too early" is really an understatement...any performance or track drivers will definitely understand what i mean...i toasted a vw engine once...in a friends car(some friend i am...LOL) by jamming into second instead of hitting fourth gear, which was my "target"...the parts just flew out of the case...we did indeed have some major lockup of the wheels and damn near went the other way....and all this happened so quickly...i estimate mere seconds from the time i let the clutch out till i pushed it back in...too late...

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Dude, how do you miss a shift that's so easy? *tsk tsk* :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

hehe...bite me....my most memorable "missed shift" was on the track...i was on the pole position(in my bmw ministock) started the race in first gear...grabbed second felt a tap from behind, MISSED third, BIG tap that sent me head on into the inside wall and i think damn near everyone on the track hit me before i stopped bouncing around..lesson? careful with those shifts...LOL

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Good thing he didn't pull you over and make you disassemble it! :)

Good score!

Jay

Reply to
Jay McGraw

For a while BAP was buying Mexican and Brazillian components and assembling them in the US using old German forged cranks and rods, but now, even they use the new cranks out of Mexico. From what I have read the cast cranks are fine for stock applications. I have two of them in my current daily drivers and have had no problem and I had one in my '68 Westy which I drove up to Lake Tahoe in (7k feet) with 50k miles on it and agian no problem. If an engine or cast crank can hold up to that grinding drive in a packed Westy and I mean packed with stuff on top of the luggage rack and all, it can certainly hold up to the load placed by the average Bug.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I no longer build Type I engines........ Got tired of the bullshit and whining!

We are strictly TIV/356/911 now.

Reply to
Jake Raby

I have discontinued building Type I engines. Now all we build are Type IV/356 /911/912 engines.

I got tired of the throact cutting going on in the Type I industry, and all the whiners.

Reply to
Jake Raby

Isn't anyone buying factory-assembled Mexican VW engines and selling them in the U.S.? It doesn't seem like a major endeavor, tho' there may be some kind of trade duties or outright prohibition put into place by VWoA . . . ?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Quite a few companies do...aircooled.net does, CIP does, too, I think. There are other companies but they all carry a $300 to $500 markup over what you paid for it in TJ. And that does not include shipping or boxing fees. That's why I always say that if you live close to the border it is worth the drive to go to a VW dealership in Mexico and pick one up yourself. Just make sure you call ahead and have one saved for you. Of course the down side is that the factory warranty will not apply unless you go to the dealership and have them inspect the installation and do the initial maintenance, but then I wonder who guarentees the ones sold via mail in the US?

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Could be. CIP is quite coy. I called them and asked if the engines were built in the Puebla factory and the sales rep didn't know and didn't know exactly how to find out. He referred me to the importer (which probably explains the $300 to $500 markup -- each engine gets stepped on twice) who I called. Got an answering machine. Left my question and tele number and never heard back. No surprise there -- he's an importer and doesn't want to deal with we retail customers. Whiners, as Jake puts it.

I dunno what happened w/r/t my investigation into engine provenance with aircooled.net. John's a forthcoming guy . . . did I not call him or something? I dunno, I forget. I don't know if John is importing the engines himself or also using an importer. That's his business, I reckon.

Um . . . nobody?