Why did they weld the holes in the refurbished rocker set?

They welded the little hole in each of the rockers on the adjustment screw end.

I thought that maybe there had been a problem in that area with them breaking, so they welded them to make them stronger.

Here is a link to the pic of the rocker set. I noticed that in the pic they do not show the weld.

In the 'Bug Me' video on Engine Overhaul, they are using one of these rocker sets witht the welded rockers on the adjustment screw end.

Why did they weld the holes in the refurbished rocker set?

Reply to
Jim347a

That hole was where they drilled through the rocker to be able to drill the oil passages deeper inside the rocker, that provided oil to the adjuster threads. When the passage was drilled, the first access hole was welded shut because it was not needed for any other purpose. This is all from the factory. It was just a temporary access hole during manufacturing.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

For comparison, they closed the hole on the push-rod side by crimping or stamping.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Bob Hoover