why suicide doors are called suicide doors?

Fornicating Under Consent of the King the way I heard it anyway

Reply to
Shane

It's USENET. No one "sponsors" it, except for the ISP's that lend bandwidth for copying posts about and some hard drive space for storing them temporarily.

It's very decentralized, that's just how they did things in the bad old days before there was spam and viruses.

There are community-accepted conventions in place, but for the most part there's no rules. Anyone can make a newsgroup, anyone can post to them, and anyone can ignore anything they want.

"Origin" depends on context. Do you mean where did USENET start, or where did RAMVA start? For the former, it started sometime in

1979. The first two sites to link together was UNC and Duke. I'm not all sure what kicked off RAMVA, about all I know is it got split off from the base VW group to divide the watercooled folks and the aircooled folks into their own discussion groups.
Reply to
Seth Graham

Get yourself a newsreader like Agent or FreeAgent from

or XNews, slrn, or even Outlook Express with OEFix. Then ask your ISP what their newsserver address is.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Nobody does, it's Newsgroups/Usenet. It just floats about in cyberspace and has done for a couple of decades! Part of the "original" Internet :-)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

"ThaDriver" wrote

In addition to what Seth and Howard said:

Scott H

....................RAMVA and RAMVW were formed sometime in the early nineties, I think. I once saw an archived document somewhere online that listed the original members and I think that Bob Hoover was on the list........unless my memory is failing me again.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 01:01:58 +0200, "P.J.Berg" ran around screaming and yelling:

well if this is the theory of how the term "suicide door" came about it seems more likely they would have called them "darwin doors"....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Well, the way I see it, the person/organization/business that keeps the postings on their harddrive is the sponsor. They have a vested interest, & can shut down the access at any time (as well as deleting the info). I did read most of the UseNet FAQ page, but I'm not sure I understand it. I also saved it to my harddrive. BTW Outlook has a newsgroup feature, but who needs it when the posts are on the web? Besides, Outlook sucks. :-) Also, I recently found out that Google does the same thing with some of these/alot of newsgroups. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

it seems more likely they would have called them "darwin doors"....

******* Joey, Joey, Joey, In short, they're called suicide doors 'cause it's suicide to open them while moving. "Darwin" is just dumb. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

There were over 66 THOUSAND news servers in the world several years ago, I think, and MANY of them carry this newsgroup. Then there are websites thet display newsgroup discussions and even allow posting. They are just tapping into USENET and displaying the content on the Internet.

So Ramva is decentralized, it is everywhere and nowhere in particular.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I'm thinking 94. I started coming here around that time. Didn't post muct at first.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

But the trick here is, that the newsgroups do not reside on any ONE hard drive. But thousands of hard drives all over the globe, thousands of copies. They look for updates from other servers and try to keep up.

If one decides to stop carrying RAMVA, it wouldn't matter much. The others still would.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:57:17 -0400, "ThaDriver" ran around screaming and yelling:

google is great for searching archives...but posting turn around is about six hours....with Agent i can retrieve them in "real time"... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:01:07 -0400, "ThaDriver" ran around screaming and yelling:

No, opening doors of a vehicle while moving is "just dumb"....I've never heard them called suicide doors for that reason, i always heard the ganster tale....made sense...doesnt matter, suicide doors are cool...i like them and my car *will* have them eventually....and i can guarantee you one thing, if it opens while the vehicle is in motion i won't have to worry about a door handle pulling me with it, because it will be opening on its own, not by me doing something that ignorant... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

drive. But thousands of hard drives all over the globe, thousands of copies. They look for updates from other servers and try to keep up.

****** Well that's pretty cool. I wish I understood it more. Where do they look for updates? How can they determine where "real time" updates occur (for that matter how do they occur)? And when one is moderated, how do they do that? ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

never heard them called suicide doors for that reason, i always heard the ganster tale....made sense...doesnt matter, suicide doors are cool...i like them and my car *will* have them eventually....and i can guarantee you one thing, if it opens while the vehicle is in motion i won't have to worry about a door handle pulling me with it, because it will be opening on its own, not by me doing something that ignorant... JT

****** LOL! I was just teasin' ya'. It *is* dumb to open a door while moving, but I bet it has happened a couple of times when some girlfriend gets mad & "threatens" to get out - while moving... Or some dumb sh*t is going to spit or something, thinking that he's not moving all that fast (thinking about it, it probably wouldn't take more than about 10 MPH, or a good gust of wind). The ganster tale dosen't make any sense at all. Think about it: would a door really bounce bullets back into the car? (of course not: they'll pass right through the entire assembly) Just make sure you wear your seatbelts. :-) ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Download Forte Free Agent, it's better than any online reader - Google is OK for searching for old messages, but it's quite slow in updating.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Here's where "this" all got started kinda sorta: ;-)

from another article:"Lerner oversaw the computers at Stanford's graduate school ofbusiness. Bosack, her husband, worked 500 yards across campus as themanager of the computer science department's lab. Although thecomputers within their own departments were linked, the twodepartments were not linked. Bosack figured out how to connect the twonetworks so they could share software and databases. "We were on atight budget," Lerner remembers of those days a little over a decadeago."

Reply to
Shaggie

Shaggie

Thanks Shaggie :)