Wiring harness (partial) for a '73 Thing?

Hi gang!

Anyone know of a good source to get parts of the wiring harness for a '73 VW Thing? I was changing the speedomter and mis-connected the fuel gauge sensor wire and it got fried! Totally smoked up! Anyway, does anyone know of a good source of just parts of the wiring harness? Also, does the Beetle from this model year share the same wiring? I would imagine it would be easier finding a harness for a Beetle than a Thing. Thanks!

Reply to
WIZARDGLIK

Hit up your neighborhood scrap yard for a 70's harness (Std Beetle, not Super). Should be real close. There are 2 parts: Main harness to the rear and the Front harness for lights, horn, brake light sw,

The sender wire isn't part of any harness is it?

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

No, it isn't. But I figure it would be even harder to just locate this one wiring pair than finding a whole harness (whereas someone selling a whole harness might also have the fuel sender wiring as well). Should I just buy new wire and repair the damage myself then?

Reply to
WIZARDGLIK

Yeah, I would just replace that one wire/pair. Going beyond that could open a real can of worms...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I had to rewire my 89 Rabbit from the engine all the way to the fuse block. Electrical fires in the dash while driving are no fun. Dealer wanted an absurd amount for a new harness. Worked out pretty well but took several days to get it done. You should be able to fix your easily. Andy

63 Camper
Reply to
Busman

bought it from the Thing Shop. Not cheap. but worth it,

I compared it to the original german that was on my military Thing...no difference from quality point of view.

Civilizing my Thing makes electricals simpler....trust me :)

Reply to
Kuebel Guy

I have some sources for VW Thing parts, have owned my '73 for years.

Try these sources

That should cover anything you need.

Reply to
bowinike