Wiring Mitsubishi radio into Bus

Hi, first time poster here, with a question for Speedy Jim.

I bought one of the Mitsubishi radios Jim posted about a while back:

I was scouting around for a nice working radio for my '68 project Beetle. Didn't have to look original, but must have good reception.

Long and short of it, I came across a seller on eBay who has a pile of NOS Mitsubishi radios. They have cassette deck, which kinda dates them. AM/FM *and* a clock! Provision for driving front and rear speakers. No Un-Lock code required.

The best part was the price (being the frugal sort):

$4.95

!!

This is going in a Beetle with the padded dash and I was able to file the VW plastic trim ring to accept the radio. The dash will need a teeny bit or surgery to conform to DIN dimensions. The radio actually measures 2" X 7" .

Pics showing the trim ring here:

He still has a number of them listed if anyone is interested:
Speedy Jim

My question is, How did you hook this up to your Beetle? Did you have to pull a wiring harness from a Mitsubishi? The research I've done so far would indicate that this radio was destined for a '94 Eclipse, and I have been able to download a wiring color code list from mobileinformationlabs.com. I live about a mile from a u-pull-it type junkyard, so I might be able to pull a harness there.

Any suggestions welcome.

TIA,

Richard

Reply to
widgetworker

My brother-in-law runs one of the top home and aduio shops here and sells harness adaptors, so i'm sure if you go to one in your area they should beable to get you one. Just make sure you take the radio with you so they can get one that will work for your application

Reply to
Kafertoys

You don't really need the harness plug. The pins on the radio are Amp .110 Faston crimp term size. Just make the leads up that you need and stick them on. It's a good idea to put sleeving over the terminals to prevent them touching one another.

I made up a diagram of the connections here:

The mounting bracket provides the chassis ground for the radio power.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Not to be picky buut, any polarity on the speaker terminals? Or are they clearly marked?

With later units you get standard plugs with universal short wiring "harness"(Radioshack?), I did not however recognize the plug shape on your .gif The standard plugs with universal harness cost almost nothing, well, in this case probably the same as the radio.. :-]

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

HaHaHa! Had I known about the universal harness, I might have bought one.

All the neg speaker terminals are on the smaller plug. My dwg doesn't show the shape of the plug. Go here for a .pdf :

The .pdf is a little misleading in the orientation of the plug pins though.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I had a look, and they did not look like standard ISO plugs/contacts. I have two sets right here, one for the headunit and one(Two smaller) for the car end, as most modern cars are delivered with ready to hook-up plugs/contacts.

You also get them make specific, as an adapter between the contacts/plugs on the cars wiring harness and the standarized ISO plugs/contacts on the head unit.

The .Pdf you linked to would be the Mitsubishi contacts/plugs in the car, right? The two contacts/plugs on the back of the headunit does not have the same shape, no?

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Correct. The .pdf is the car harness. The shape isn't quite like the plug on the radio. J.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I did a few searches with all the numbers on top of the unit you took a picture of, nothing turned up, was looking for a rear view. Not important, just curious.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg