Won't Start

Looking for ideas. I removed my engine from my 69 bus and following the instillation I find that the motor won't start, the starter won't even turn over. I check the connections on the starter and all are fine and test out well.l I did replace the starter however following this issue I put the old one back in and still no luck. Battery is charged and everything appears to be hooked up correctly. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks. Bill

Reply to
FC Bill

Can you turn the engine over by hand?

That's via the crankshaft pulley / fan belt, with transmission in neutral. You should be able to turn it over very slowly against compression pressure (which will leak away).

John

Reply to
John Henderson

The problem is electrical

Reply to
FC Bill

Do you hear the starter solenoid engage (a heavy clunk) when the key is turned to start?

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Reply to
John

Check the ground strap or provide temporary ground between the engine block and the body with good jumper cables to see if you have a ground problem.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks for the information. I checked out all of the connections and had good power to the solenoid frome the battery and the switch, as it turns out it was a dirty connection on the hot wire from the ignition switch. Once I cleaned the connection I was in business. Thanks again to all

Reply to
FC Bill