would like 2nd opinion on carb

Yes I have been reading all the carb post lately and so it leads me to believe I have a junk carb.

71 super auto- tragic just finished building engine stock 1600 dp

The engine starts and Idles perfectly it will also run under load great no problem getting to 65 when I remember how to shift it.

Now the problem from idle starting out mid acceleration it hits a major flat spot that will make the engine to stall sometimes but if I press the gas pedal slowly it will accelerate slow but steady.

the carb is a BOSCAR 34-3 about a year old (why I don't want to tell the costomer its junk already) Ive tore down cleaned and reasembled twice now and adjusted with no better resalts. So am I right in thinking the carb needs replaceing already.

I thank you for any info thou the customer might not...lol

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

If it's like the 34-PICT, there are 4 tiny drillings in the throat, right around the throttle plate. As the throttle opens, more and larger drillings are exposed. These are connected to the idle fuel jet.

If one of the drillings is clogged with a minute speck of dirt, there won't be any flow when the throttle plate passes it. That's what causes the drop in RPM or even stalling.

They can be cleaned but it is a real crap shoot. Complete disassembly and compressed air to each of the drillings.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I have a newer 34 that dribbles gas out of one of those drillings, all the time probably, but will flood the heck out of the engine when shut off even after a very short run (6 blocks)

I have an older one that does what Mario's does. O the Quality!

Reply to
Cletus

would this make a auto-stick run hot also?

Mario

getting to hate auto-sticks...lol or just junk carbs

Reply to
Kafertoys

...919-596-1026 Please tell your customer to give Bob a call at Hicks VW if he would like a competent mechanic to fix his vehicle.

HTH,

Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I've heard someone else recommend that guy somewhere before...

"See the "Hicks VW" sticker? He's a good mechanic. Pricey, but good. He's the one I took the bug to for the broken clutch tube problem. He always does a "little extra" on the car when he has it, like greasing the front end or adding a wire-wrap here and there. He's a good guy."

I agree, mario. You should tell your customer to give him a call. Some people are good at bodywork, and some people are good at mechanical work, some people are good at being honest, some people are good at being a crook, etc, etc. You know how it works. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

I will agree that bob Hicks is a very good VW mechanic, and even suggested to the costomer that I wasn't that knowlageable about the auto-stick.

Unfortunately the customer can't afford Hicks prices, and is very happy with the service she has gotten from me so far.

I guess my Idea to stick to just paint and body work is out of the question having the reputation of quality over everything else keeps them coming back

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

.............You're a better comedian than anything else.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

LOL I'm anything but a comedian I'll stick to what I'm good at body and paint and minor repairs.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Reply to
ilambert

Could not have said it better myself mario

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

look another mindless trol what would the world be with out guys like this.

Sorry all still haveing to much fun working on Aircooled VW's all day and enjoying life. Its a good thing, I'm really really good at what I do.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys