WTB (or swap for) - VW type IV 2.0 engine and/or parts to same, in SE'ern USA

hi guys,

I'd still like to buy (or better yet swap stuff for), a type 4 engine (or two) and =OR= a load of parts for type IV engines. prefer 2000cc, but might like to hear about ANY type 4 engine you may have 'sitting around'. not lookin' for "A-1 turnkey" stuff, either..."somewhat rough" and "fairly ugly" is OK; blown up and/or dismantled might work fine. cheap is always nice :-). also need lots of type 1 engine sheet metal, too; all this for my 'cali-style' conversion attempt :-) .

please see my complete (itemized) wants lists posted:

site has links to my other sites at page bottom, all of which load

*fast* and DON'T have banners - I'll SWAP any of the tools and hardwares etc listed for the veeDub parts I'm lookin' to aquire...all of it's in good clear pictures...my "swappable items" range from metal lathes to gas cans, from 100 ton jacks to sets of casters, and everything in between...got cash too (but it's tight)

please say where you're located in your reply? shipping costs what they are, great distances are a stumbling block...

thanks much,

dave in north central florida

=please= respond by direct e-mail, not to the forum as a whole. BUT: you'll need to take the "weird stuff" OUT of my e-mail address before you click send - thanks :-)

= scammers offering large cashiers checks - pls save your energy =

Reply to
dave

............Most enthusiasts are like me and don't want to get rid of their

2.0 bus engines. I'd have to get more than it's worth for me to part with mine. You'd be more likely to be successful in your search by keeping an eye on the local classifieds for a beat up bus that possibly still runs. My recollection of north Florida & south Georgia is that there are a lot of large and small salvage yards in that region as well. Of course, Jake Raby probably keeps them cleaned out pretty thoroughly...........lol
Reply to
Tim Rogers

Avoid the bus engine (easily worn out by busing a heavy square box down the road!) and get one from a Porsche 914 (they rust badly so many are available) or the VW 411/412 (they only recently became collectable to a small crowd). A 1.7L or 1.8L is the same block so don't avoid it. I thought the Cali conversion utilized the T4 upper sheet metal?

Reply to
Wolfgang

..............Bus engines are usually OK for rebuilding. The case, crankshaft & rods are almost bullet-proof. The valve seats & guides are a different story of course. With a set of rebuilt heads from a reputable shop and new p&c's & rebuilt rods along with everything else involved in a complete rebuild, the average 2.0 bus engine is an excellent candidate for a type 4 conversion in a bug (read Joe Cali's manual). 914's & 411/412 sedans are harder to find than a bus and even the rusted out ones are usually over-priced. Remember, Porsche never sold very many 914's in comparison to VW's baywindow bus and a lot of the 914's had the 6 cyl. engine. 411/412's are even more difficult to find than type 4 powered 914's. Several years ago, I came upon a rusted out 914 that had been sitting outside for at least a decade and the owner said that I could have it for $1000 !!!..........it's probably still sitting where I saw it.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Hi, Yes you do use the upper cylinder covers from a T-4 for the conversion actually Two sets are needed. But worst case, you can get the covers made of fiberglass from Sharpbuilt or CSP. Also the gen/alt stand can be bought or made. A new trend is making them out of steel. That's real nice because it can be welded easy and some wild designs lend to more space in the engine compartment.

As for a case, all are the same but, it is better to know the case was pushing a 2200 lb 914 rather then a 4400 bus. The bottom end on any rarely if ever have a problem The other nice thing about the 914 is the oil dip stick is in the correct place, which is not a big deal because the adaptors are available. There are people willing to give T-4 engienes away. Just keep your eyes open and get the word out. Mine original engine is still running like new and has over 50k on it. The only problem I have is getting it to running temp. here in NY with temps well below freezing. The reason being the engine is not working to push the 1700 bug, not even breaking a sweat. One thing if you want nice power, think CAM. Joe

Reply to
NEXTGENUSA

Joe's got it right, I'm currently running 2 914's, both have an Elgin

66508-19 cam. (Elgin is in Redwood City, CA (650) 364-2187, just up the road, close to my 914 supplier, High Performance House.)

This one is advertized as 266 duration, 50 deg overlap with a lift of

0.302 @cam. Lots of more aggressive choices of course, but I get a decent idle and good economy, while having that extra punch on the top end. It runs great with the stock L-Jet AND with dual Webers. I just sent another off to be reground yesterday, finally going to get the Ghia running a type-4 this year. One thing to be aware of, the stock cam gear is the best, especially if your case needs an odd size. My L-Jet car has a -5 gear, nothing else will even fit, the Weber car has a -4, a tiny bit more common, I fuond two while looking to replace the

-5... Elgin can drill out the rivets and sells high strength bolts for the racer crowd, I didn't think that was necessary for a stock or slightly oversize engine. My L-Jet car is a 2.0 while the Webers are feeding a 2.056 (96mm slip-ins, so far so good, we'll see how long they last!)

MTS (back after a l>One thing if you want nice power, think CAM.

Reply to
MTS