01 V70XC angle gear leak

I'me told I have an angle gear housing leak, (the mechanism that helps to move power back to front and vice versa in Volvo's "AWD" format) and that the solution is to dismantle, grind or mill the join and put back together. Has anyone had any similar experience?

Thanks

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

you are about to touch something very expensive &, well, finicky. measure twice!!! who thinks there is a leak & why? i have an r & i would not touch that part on her w/o a cardiac surgeon scrubbing in to back me up, (ie i consider it her heart). it does more than you think.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

: >Thanks : >

: >Gerry : >

: you are about to touch something very expensive &, well, finicky. : measure twice!!! who thinks there is a leak & why? i have an r & i : would not touch that part on her w/o a cardiac surgeon scrubbing in to : back me up, (ie i consider it her heart). it does more than you think.

Hi Gerry,

I had the angle gear housing leak on my '97 850 AWD stick-shift wagon. It was fixed at the local Volvo dealership about a year ago.. The work involved didn't seem to be the grinding/milling of the "join" that you mention. Instead, lots of seals and O-rings, some quite expensive. I have the complete list if you're interested. The job took three hours ($315 Canadian). Parts and oil $221 .

Andy I. ('58 445 "wagon"; '65 122S wagon; '67 122 direct import; '74 145 wagon; '74 142 sedan; '86 245 wagon; '93 245 "Classic" wagon; '97 850 AWD wagon.)

Reply to
Andy

i'm sorry i skipped a step. i heard mill & presummed that the parts were warped beyond tolerances, making seals useless. when i was a kid we would use oversize parts to get an adequate seal. once i even used lag bolts (ns) to tighten a head. now if my neice (14yo) finds a part more than a mic out we machine or (normally) replace. then again we get 450+ bph out of 2.4l & she purrs.

a friend, in the business, recently taught me sometime. if you need to move an AWD w/ external motive force -- tow. turn her on! get her juices flowing, only then can you f*.... w/ her. more literally a spinning engine provides fluids where they are needed. a cold engine can't protect itself or its parts.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer