'02 S60 Headlight replacement

Some time ago, a rock(?) cracked the lens on the right-hand headlight assembly. No reason to bother until the two halves (split just to the right of center of the lo-beam portion) began to separate. Figuring it was only a matter of time until water/dirt began to seep in, it was time for a replacement.

Good time to have comprehensive insurance: Light assembly, $US317; tax, $US23.38; labor $US88. With my $US100 deductible in play, I was spared the additional $US338.38, but damn, that's a bunch for a headlight!

I'm led to understand that Volvo's intent is replacement of lens only (it just has a series of stainless steel clips holding it on), but that U.S. regulations require replacement of the entire assembly. Considering how long it took halogens to be approved, I guess that's not too bad. What a waste, though . . .

Anyone know the cost of the lens only in some more enlightened venue?

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

try ipd they do sell just the glass the dealer is unable to get the glass cover but they will install for you if you need them to

Reply to
G Klein

Everywhere but US and Canada, at least for the 850 and 850 based x70s. See if you can get 8622736, genuine Volvo headlight protector for the S60.

Reply to
Mike F

"Bob Noble" wrote

Any idea what the rationale for that is?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Gorblate

Hi, Ken - - -

Yes, there is a "reason."

After *years* of the usual bureaucratic fiddling, the government finally came to realize that it really was possible to design a combination of bulb and reflector that assured proper alignment of the two without the need for professional reaming. There was also the minor consideration that the U.S. manufacturers wanted to be able to use better integrated (design-wise) headlights.

*However,* they have yet to accept that proper design might permit the replacement of of a lens without losing the OEM alignment of lens and reflector. Yeah, sure.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

I personally feel that this is a fedreal law from the old days of vacuum sealed headlights that has never been updated to coinside with todays current design and improvements of headlight technology. This of course being a federal mandate all of the states follow the same guidlines. BD.

Reply to
Big Dick