'02 V70 Keyless Remote?

I now have an '02 V70 wagon which came with just one key and one keyless remote. My mechanic gave me a 2nd keyless remote but told me that the dealer would have to program it (actually program the car for it). I recently had to go to the dealer to get the leaking fuel pump replaced under extended warranty. At that time I asked for a 2nd key and to have that keyless remote activated for the car. The dealer asked if I had the code that came with the remote. When I said I didn't he told me that he could not program the car without it and that a new remote was a couple of hundred buck plus this, plus that, etc. I asked if I would be able to get into and operate the car with just the spare key; he said "yes" and I just opted for a single new key.

It seems kind of strange that a dealer can't activate the remote from the S/N on the back rather than needing a code that no one knows the instant after it becomes separated from the remote. Is it true that there is no way to activate a remote without the papers that came with it? It seems like Volvo believes that all Volvo owners have baskets of cash with nothing better to do than spend it at the dealer.

Reply to
Donald Newcomb
~^ beancounter ~^

Unfortunately, "the flake" is the service manager. Everyone else is totally clueless.

Reply to
Donald Newcomb

What you were told is true for your model year you need to have the long code & the short code for the remote the dealer has no way to retrieve the codes for the remote nor does Volvo cars been there done that with Volvo so with out the codes the remote is useless as for the key if your dealer has the ability to cut the key then you would pay for the key software & labor to program the key to the car as for the serial # on the back it is just a part # stamped on the back of the remote if your car was a 1998 or earlier then all that is needed is a pin code which is available from Volvo but for model year 1999 & 2000 you need a software download hope this helps you understand better Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician ASE Certified Technician

Reply to
Glenn K

I'm sure that this must have been done for my benefit but I'll be switched if I can figure out how.

Reply to
Donald Newcomb