10W30 all year round in warm/cold climate?

I used to use Mobil One 5/30 and 10W30 in my 93 240 and do oil change every 6 months.

I recently bought Mobil Extended Performance (good up to 120,000 [km or miles?] ) and was wondering if I could do an oil change only once a year? I do about 10K miles/year. Climate can be down to -30C (~ 0F) in winter and up to 40C (~110F) in summer.

Or should I stick to my twice a year 5W/30, 10W30 oil changes?

Thanks

Reply to
Someone

Seasonal oil viscosity changes are an ancient relic. Once multiweight oils came out, they became unnecessary in all but the most extreme climates. Run

10W30 year round and you will have no trouble. You're not trying to crank a big V8 from a 6V battery, the starter in a 240 produces ample torque to turn the motor over in just about any weather.
Reply to
James Sweet

Someone schrieb:

Sufficient every 12 months. In Europe oil changes are done every year or 20000-40000km depending on th manufacturer of the car.

Mobil 1 is good for all year use within these parameters.

Don't waste money!

Your welcome!

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

It is a question of personal preference.

I change more frequently, but consider it a form of "insurance."

You might post your inquiry at Bob's the Oil Guy...

link:

From what I read there, a one year period is deemed OK.

Reply to
Mr. V

Thanks to all for you input. I do have the owner's manual for the car and I followed what it says. But this being a 1993, I figured there must have been improvement in engine oil fabrication over the last 15 years and since I don't do much mileage, maybe I can relax my twice a year 5w30, 10W30 oil changes.

I like the suggestion of keeping 10W30 oil all year round in my second Volvo which I only use 2-5 times per winter. On that one, every time I do an oil change in the spring, the oil looks exactly like the oil I added in the fall.

Someone

I use regular 10W30 in the non-turbo Volvo year round, it doesn't get quite as cold here as you mentioned, but I've never had any trouble at all one way or another. I change it every 5K miles and it's looking pretty yucky by then. Car has just shy of 300K on it and the motor has been holding up great.

Reply to
James Sweet

Mobil-1 EP 5W-30 will do a fine job of lubricating your Volvo year round. No need to use 10W-30 in the summer or winter.

Reply to
John Horner

Well Roadie, you are wrong. The manual in question was written 15 years ago and automotive lubricants have moved forward quite a lot in that time.

Reply to
John Horner

10W-30 will work fine, but 5W-30 will work better. Mobil-1 EP is an excellent quality oil which is going to hold it's viscosity fine.

The 5W simply means an oil with better low temperature cranking characteristics. Once hot, the 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils have approximately the same viscosity.

Reply to
John Horner

Reply to
John Robertson