142 Emergency repair story

Hello All

I just wanted to share a quick story about my amazing roadside repair on my 1973 142.

About a week ago I was picking up my teenager from school when my 142 started making the most awful squealing and grinding sound. I pulled over in a church parking lot and took a look under the hood.

Much to my surprise the adjusting bolt that holds the alternator in place had sheared off and the alternator had moved inward and was rubbing against the bracket. I still cannot figure out how that bolt sheared off unless my mechanic over tightened it. However it has been a few years since I have adjusted that belt. So I'm at a loss.

The big worry was tools. I had a small tool set in the car that contains a reversible screwdriver with 2 tips, a flashlight, a tin of fuses and one 1/2 inch wrench and a small adjustable wrench.

I was able to use my thumb to spin out the bolt remnant from the alternator. I then looked around the car for a suitable temporary replacement bolt. I found one holding the passenger seat to the chassis. I used the 1/2 inch wrench to remove it and install it back on the alternator. I used my lug wrench to pry the alternator down to tighten the belt.

The cool part is it all worked! I've checked it a couple of times since and it is still tight and functioning perfectly. I put a new blot in the seat and it is just fine too.

Gosh I love my 142.

Regards Russ

Reply to
Russ

nice....is a 142 considered a "amazon"..??

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

[ ... ]

Now _that_ is a miracle. I had the pivot (lower) bolt break off on my 145; getting the stub out of the boss on the block was a major headache--I ended up drilling a hole into it, grinding a square spire on the end of a broken screwdriver, pounding it in and turning with pliers until it finally came loose.

Nice improvisation. Remind me to toss an assortment of bolts into the car...

Yes, it's possible to do fixes like this on the 140s. My 145 should get a new head and a few other things this week, then become my daily driver again.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

To your tool kit add:

-Tie wraps

-electrical tape and duct tape (the good stuff)

-locking pliers (Vicegrips)

-and unless you carry one, a pocket knife

-A few lengths of wire (around 12 ga. or thereabouts).

Was on a motorcycle ride along the Pacific Coast Highway with a teaching friend. We just took off after school together. Somewhere along the highway between Santa Monica and Oxnard or so his Triumph just died. he tried to restart it and threw his hand in the air. He told me he fgot a huge shock. I knew right away that his kill switch and/or ignition switch had died (Imagine that! A Brit bike with electrical problems!). I pulled out the pliers/wire cutters from teh BMW's tool kit and walked to the nearest utility pole, and sure enough, there was an 18" length of heavy wire discarded on the ground. I disconnected the Triumph's ignition coil and ran a wire from the battery + to the + side of the coil ("hot wired"). It got us home, and needless to say, he chucked the kill switch into the trash.

"Russ" wrote:

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

No, those were the 120 series.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston
120's...thanx Gary.......some cool pics on google images.....
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

No doubt about it - the 140s are hard to stop. When the temperature hit 50C in Phoenix I turned the key in my trusty 145 and the battery blew up. No problem; I cranked the idle screw up 1/2 turn and got a jump from a buddy, then drove it home. Don't try that with a computerized car.

On vacation one time the alternator seized (celebrating 250K miles, apparently). We had a Dodge (our second car) along so I loosened the alternator belt to turn the fan/water pump and to slip on the alternator pulley. By swapping batteries we crossed half of Arizona with a seized alternator. A few months later the A/C compressor pulley bearing seized in the Dodge and we had to tow it two blocks home.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

A quick tip for removing bolts that are sheared off flush with (or slightly below)the hole. If it's not totally bottomed out or seized, one of these automatic center punches will usually get it out. Snap a dimple out from the center but not so close to the edge that you coin the threads. Once you have a dimple started, lean the punch over and keep snapping... ymmv.

Clay

I suppose every classic car enthusiasist gets sentimental about their 30+ year old rides...

My first Volvo was '71 144, purchased used 2 yrs in '73 with 33,000 miles. Since then, I strayed twice, once for Audi that I purchased on emergency need, once for Mitsubishi that I purchased from Volvo's Used Lot. Like the Prodigal Son, I've returned to the Volvo family (now grown a little since it bought Ford and Jaguar).

Talking how well Volvo's hold their prices? I remember a BMW ad campaign in the 70's, bragging that it retained 102% of original price for a few years. Funny thing was that at the same time, the Volvos 140's were averaging 103%. The 144 that I bought used was very close to original price. The '91 240 that I sold last month to the first customer that looked? I sold for more than I paid for it 5 years ago. Unfortunately, the profit is probably not enough to pay for my psychotherapy, now needed to understand why I sold a perfectly good 240, the best used car ever made. The good news: I replaced with low miles, well serviced, low priced 850, and now have a brand new personal makeover. I've had to hire bodyguards to keep the fans away.

It's not a car - it's a lifestyle.

Pat Q (still tinkering with my '70 1800E :)

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

Yes, but the P1800 was even cooler. Also a high-mileage record holder.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Hello All

Update to the story. The adjusting bolt broke again. Not to worry I drove home with it disconnected and replaced the bolt when I got home. I had to drill it out but that was a minor fix. This time I put a fat washer and a lock washer to keep the bolt tight. I think it let go because the bolt loosened up.

I'm somewhat concerned that something else is wrong now so I'm going to have to keep an eye on it. Maybe one of the bushings in the alternator is going bad and making it vibrate or wobble.

Any Ideas?

No matter what this is still the most faithful volvo I've ever owned. I approaching 300,000 miles and the car is still running great. Sure it has a few quirks and leaks and rust but it runs and runs and runs. It never fails me.

Regards Russ

Reply to
Russ