142 Stability at high speed

Hello All

I have a 1973 142. Runs great, drives pretty good around town but is terrible at speeds over 70mph. That is 4th gear, overdrive engaged and

3500 rpms. The car is not really capable of much more without putting the rpms way up there.

The noise level is pretty bad at that speed and I would not really want to make any evasive driving maneuvers. I tried to improve the stabilty with new poly bushings and it did get rid of many squeaks and bumps but it is still not very stable past 70mph. The shocks are good as they pass the bounce test no probelm at all and I'm riding on newer good quality stock tires that are properly inflated.

I just cannot decide what else I can do to stabilize the car. Maybe IPD sway bars but I don't really know... Any thoughts?

Regards Russ

Reply to
Russ

Ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, wheel bearings--all need to be checked.

Wheels true and not flat spotted? Tires well balanced on a high speed spin balance machine?

Reply to
Steve

Some of these cars have tires that are too narrow and flexible. You might want to check that aspect...

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski