145 headlight replacement

Greetings;

The right headlight on my '72 145 has apparently developed a bad connection internally; low beam doesn't come on right away and will blink on or off at random intervals. I tried cleaning and applying dielectric grease to the contacts on the lamp as well as cleaning/greasing all the connections to the stepper relay with no luck, so I picked up a pair of replacement lamps last night.

However, I can't find the book, and don't see an obvious way to get the old lamp out. There are a couple of white plastic things showing through the upper part of the lamp housing; are these releases of some kind? (They're missing on the left housing; there's what looks like a piece of coat hanger wire wrapped around something inside the housing with both ends sticking out of a hole on the top. The lamp is loose, so this looks like a typical repair by the previous owner, which I'd like to fix properly.)

The old lamps are incandescent, and I'm replacing them with halogens, so I'll need to be in the left side anyway. I'd prefer to not break anything experimenting, so tips would be appreciated.

Tips on aligning the lights after replacement would also be useful.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston