145 series exhaust parts source?

While warming up the car yesterday morning, I noticed clouds of exhaust coming out around the left rear wheel, well away from the tailpipe end at the left rear corner. A quick look under shows exhaust blowing out from the left end of the muffler. No telling how old it is or the rest of the system, but it looks like time to start replacing things.

I don't think this car (a '72) has a catalytic converter; I can't see one, and there's no mention of one in the owners manual. Assuming that's the case, I'll need everything from the manifold back. Since the climate here is fairly mild (north Alabama, USA) and there's virtually never any salt on the roads, regular steel should be fine. Anybody know of any sources? I'd prefer a bolt-together system instead of welded; it's hard to work on welded system. A reasonably-priced header would also be handy, but isn't a necessity.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

The 140 series is notorious for having a short lived exhaust system. My

142 started needing attention after 18 months and about every nine months after that I was replacing a muffler. IPD has a header. I don't know if they still have their "big bore" exhaust system that I installed in the 70's. Aside from that, just about any independant shop should be able to come up with a system for you. Your Volvo dealer would be the first place to make enquiries, otherwise.

good luck

chuck petterson

73ES

Reply to
spam this

I have no idea how old the muffler was when I bought the car (estate auction, no history available), but I've driven it about four years without any problems before now. Where were you driving, someplace that uses salt?

Yes, $189 plain, $269 coated, doesn't attach to the factory piping.

Not listed in their Vintage catalog; the only 140 exhast parts they list (other than the headers) are the rubber ring hangers. They have systems for 122s and 1800s, though.

Haven't had good luck with independents in the past, and doubt that the dealer is affordable. The previously posted link to speedycarparts.com shows that I can get a system for about $178, so I may go with them and have the local Volvo garage install it.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston