1800 series Q's

'm thinking of buying an 1800....preferably and ES, but coupes are OK too.

I can't find one locally to even test drive and see how I fit, and wondering how a 6 footer fits? I'd appreciate feedback on this! Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1992 VW Passat (Taxi) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

Ron,

I am 6'2" and 270 pounds. My ES fits fine, thank you. The seat rails have several adjustments.

For more help I suggest you find the 1800 list on Yahoo. It is very active and listees, such as myself, are always willing to check out cars for sale if they are in our area. Also, you can check out the world's lamest sports car website at

Since you have several 'vintage' cars there is no need for the sermon on buying an old car. The one item that is not a problem on most cars but is endemic on 1800s is the hood hinges rust and no longer function properly. The hood still opens because the hood metal flexes. The hinges can be freed with some patience and plenty of pb blaster.

good luck chuck petterson

73ES

Reply to
not my real hairline

Hi. had two of them. 66 1800s and 73 1800e preferred the -s slightly. I am 6'2 1/2" and the driving position was one of the most perfect of any car I have driven. Seat low to the floor of the car, legs out in front of you. Steering wheel nearly vertical. In the 1800s, the gearshift was this little shaft about 6" long that was as smooth as butter. You didn't get it the car you kind of put it on!. If you want a beautiful car to drive that you can't fit in, try an Alfa Spyder and you will understand what I am talking about. Take Care of my baby!

-Michael Hobbs snipped-for-privacy@qwest.net. To reply, remove X's.

Reply to
Michael

Great!

I understand that the 1800's are as prone to rust as any Studebaker, so I'll be watching that carefully...particularly the frame rails, jacking points, and back of the front fender wells. Even though I am well versed at proper structural rust repair , I hate the job and would rather spend more $$ for a good solid car.

I'll check out the 1800 list too!

Thanks!

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1992 VW Passat (Taxi) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1992 VW Passat (Taxi) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

From what I recall, there is plenty of legroom with the seat back, and edequate headroom for someone 6' even. Taller than that and there might be problems. IIRC, the seat height can be lowered a little bit. Not sure, though - it's been many years since I sat in one. If no one else replies, email me and I'll go sit in one of my dad's coupes; I'm 5'9", so I'll have to guess, though.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

On the off chance you`re near Montreal: I saw a classified for a "complete" 1968 P1800 "project car" this week (I imagine project car means: not currently running or requires enough work for this guy to give up on it!). The car is listed at $1000 Cdn (750$ US) & could at the very least be a good parts source . I have not seen the car & do not personally know the seller. I can give you the contact info if anyone is interested.

Greg

Reply to
Greg D

No, I'm SE US...right now I don't need a project, but a 20 foot driver would be fine.

Thanks anyway!