1965 Amazon -- Window Fell Into Door

Hi, all. I have a 1965 122S, and while it will never be a show car, it's a fun car for putting around the neighborhood, and even with almost 300k miles, it keeps on going without much complaining. Here's the problem. Today, when rolling down the driver's window, I felt a little bit of a slip 2/3 of the way down. I should have stopped immediately, but I didnt, and the window dropped into the door.

The top of the window is now about 3 or 3.5 inches below the top of the frame, and I can't reach it with needle-nosed pliers. I got a flexible wire claw and tried to line it with a thin rubber washer to get a grip, but no luck. The door isn't in tremendously good shape, so I'd rather not take it apart myself, but I'd also rather not pay someone $100 to do the same. Does anyone have any magic suggestions for how to get the window up and back on track? Even if I have to keep it rolled up permanently, that's fine. Los Angeles doesn't get much rain, but I'd love to have the window rolled up again before we do.

Thanks!

Cormac

Reply to
argosllc

To fix whatever the problem is, you're going to have to take the interior panel off the door. That also gives you the opportunity to lubricate the lock mechanism, which it's probably overdue for.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Thanks!

I think I have the service manual somewhere. Would that have instructions sufficient for someone who's moderately mechanically inclined, or should I bite the bullet and go to a mechanic?

Thanks again!

Cormac

Reply to
argosllc

[ ... ]

If your window crank handles are like my 145, getting them off will probably be your biggest challenge. You have a mirror-image example of how it goes together in the passenger door.

I'm told the handles are held on with C-clips.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Body trim work is in the last chapter of Haynes manual for the 120/130/1800 models:

  1. Remove 2 screws to armrest.
  2. Note inner and outer door handle positions, so they can be put back the same positions.
  3. Depress handle escutcheon and with small screwdriver remove circlip located between the handle and depressed escutcheon. Withdraw both handles.
  4. Remove 4 screws holding the upper turn molding, and lift away molding.
  5. Carefully use a thin blade around the edge of the door trim panel to pry loose the pop/snap-fasteners.
  6. Lift away the trim panel.
  7. If necessary, lift away the paper protectors over the holes of the inner door frame.
  8. Refitting is the reverse.

Cormac, step 3 is the one that is not explained well in the manual, but if you can push the handle trim ring (I think it was black plastic?) against the door panel, while pulling the handle in the opposite direction, you can open up enough gap to see the fastening circlip hidden under the black plastic ring.

Once you get the panel off (handle gently, it's old worn out fiberboard), you can visually look at the window lifting parts, and you will see a length of horizontal metal nearly as long as the bottom of the window. On my 1800 (and I assume the 122), this metal strip has a U-shaped groove that the bottom edge of the glass rests in. This metal strip may have weakened from age and rust, and no longer has a strong grip on the glass. The grip is reinforced by a rubber liner that sits inside the U-groove, which may also be aged and cracked and no longer up to snuff. Let's hope the metal strip still has some life in it and will not require removal and replacement. Replacing the rubber liner won't be a big problem. With a new rubber liner in place (purchase is cheap at any auto glass shop), set the window pane in the correct position, it should take some firm pushing to get it seated. After that, it will stay in place with the grip of the rubber liner plus gravity pulling it down. Also watch to make sure the window pane is in the vertical tracks correctly, and slides up and down with ease as you operate the crank.

Other than being gentle with old worn out fiber board and rubber components, this is a pretty simple job.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

I love those old cars! Had a few of them years back. Nope, no majik solution. Take off the door panel and see whats up. I do remember the window crank is a bee-otch to remove without the proper tool. The glass probably just came out of the track or jumped off the gear maybe. Good Luck. M

nobodys