1978 264 GLE - Fatal Transmission Problem?

Hello Brick Enthusiasts... Haven't been able to work on my 264 since November; it can no longer be driven, as it will not shift into drive. Reverse seems to work just fine, though somehow I suspect that the local law enforcement officials might frown upon that (been very busy and the car has had to sit whilst I did those things). So... couple of questions. Since this bird has the original 2.7 PRV (and only 45k miles), what sort of costs are we looking at here? Also, any place where one can get a replacement tranny in the Southeastern United States? Should mention that the car sat for 15 years before I acquired it.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Well with the manual gearboxes you can remove the bellhousing and stick it on the gearbox from a 4 cylinder car, is the slushbox the same way?

260s are quite rare these days, but usually the engine croaked long before the transmission so you might get lucky. Worst case you can have the old box rebuilt, the innards are essentially the same as most other RWD Volvos used.
Reply to
James Sweet

Did you change the fluid and filter in the trans when you obtained the car? Having it power-flushed might help, also, look at the linkage and shifter mechanism. Could simply be that something is blocking the shifter.

If it's a matter of you can't get the shifter to move into the "D" position, it's probably a shifter/linkage issue.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

My 265 had two transmission failures in the time I owned it. One was covered by the warranty on the first.

The engine eventually died somewhere around 200k miles.

Reply to
Rob Steinmetz