1983 240 DL, manual -- Clutch lifespan

My '83 240 had 153,000 miles on it when the tachometer stopped working no more than a thousand miles ago. I have complete repair records, and the clutch has never be replaced.I have followed online suggestions for testing it, and it seems ok, although it might be -- in my own estimation -- a little "high," as in not having a _lot_ of play.I've been told that clutches, given proper use, can last indefinitely.What opinions and/or experience do other people have?- NJ

Reply to
nojinx

That's about when the one in my turbo failed, yours may last longer, it's hard to say, fortunatly it's not particularly hard to replace in these cars.

Reply to
James Sweet

My dad's friend has (could be had right now, not sure if he got rid of his brick, he was on a quest for a red 850/V70 non turbo, non automatic wagon with cloth interior) a 1989 740 GLE (with the 8V engine, not the 16V) with

350+K Kms on it, original clutch, transmission (with functional O/D) and exhaust system on it!
Reply to
Rob Guenther

'89 245 has 225K miles on clutch.

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

My 78 245DL has 248,000 on it and still going strong. I did have a clutch adjustment at about 246,000. Because of a slight oil leak from the rear main seal, I will probably replace the clutch this winter when repairing the rear main seal. Just because it's open for easy access.

noj>

Reply to
Steve Rogers

  1. Gidday from Australia.
  2. Our 1976 needed a new clutch when rust, accidents, leaking oil, injectors and a new interior finally made it uneconomical to repair... The clutch was slipping for several months before I stripped the car for parts. A slight touch on the clutch at cruise speed would send it slipping. So with us at least, we got a lot of warning before it was going to become undrivable.

Allan.

Reply to
Just Allan