1983 245 high beams, no low beams

Greetings,

I've got a 1983 Volvo 245. I've had it for 10 years, after a truck "upgraded" my 1973 145.

Last weekend I replaced my old 4656 and 4651 headlamps with new Silverstars (4656ST and 4651ST). Why replace (he asked, anticipating the question)? I had one dead lamp (driver side high) and one working but carbonized (pass side high). And driver side low was weak.

At first only the lamps on the passenger side worked, and only the high beams. Then I could get both sides to work, but only on high beams (the driver's side ground was loose). This is how it stands now: when I turn on the lights, they come on as highbeams, and the low beam filaments are not lit. I can only control the headlights through the switch on the dash; when I pull the turn signal, I hear the "clunk" of the relay, but it does not affect anything. I replaced the relay, but that didn't fix it.

I can't see anything obviously wrong with the wiring. If anyone can give me advice to diagnose the problem I would appreciate it. Is there a simple continuity test I can run to determine whether there is a short in this system, but only for the low beams? Why only the highs? Also, it appears that the headlamps are not fused, except by the 25 amp engine case fuse. Is this correct?

Please don't suggest that I replace all of the wiring. I'll take it to the garage before I do that.

The 145 was so much easier.

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe Doherty