1984 245 GLT Rough Idle Problem

My 1984 Volvo 245 GLT wagon has a rough idle. I replaced the plugs, cap, rotor and tried a bottle of fuel injector treatment to no avail. I recently purchased this for a second car at a local charity auction for $500 USD and did not have an opportunity to drive the car first. There were no records or books with the car but it looks fairly well cared for in and out.

This is my first Volvo and I'm not very familiar with them. Other than the rough idle, the car runs and drives beautifully with approx 210K miles, no warning lights, odd noises, or problems with the turbo etc... The dash tach says it is idling about 850 rpm or so, and will smooth out briefly after a run on the freeway. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stacy Puyallup, WA

Reply to
Localnet News

Rough idle is a tough one. Can be caused by vacuum leaks, low compression, clogged/dirty fuel injector(s), clogged ports in the throttle body, and other things. If you're new to Volvos, I strongly suggest finding the 240 FAQ (google should come up with it) and go through that. Clean or replace the flame trap, clean the throttle body, pick up a Bentley 240 manual, these are great cars, but being 25 years old it'll need a few things to get it into shape.

Reply to
James Sweet

No, nothing from 1984 has four coils, it uses a conventional ignition coil and distributor having mechanical vacuum advance with an electronic box to drive the coil. I had missed that this is a turbo, GLT is a trim level, the cars that said GLT on them are essentially the same as the turbo model, but without the turbo motor. At any rate, 240 Turbos all had K-jet mechanical injection which is very sensitive to vacuum/boost leaks and fuel contamination.

Reply to
James Sweet

A good source of information for Volvo owners is

More specifically for owners of 200 series ( I have 2 ) is
The message archive for 200 series goes back years and is searchable inForum Tools. The forum is run by Volvo Owners Club ( UK ) though there are international users too. If you sign up to the forum ( it's free and you don't have to be a member of VOC ) you could post your query there and there are lots of helpful and knowledgeable forum members to call on.

It's my first port of call if I have a problem that I can't resolve myself, I pop in once or twice a week anyhow.

I don't remember the forum being mentioned on this newsgroup before but I highly recommend it.

My email address used in newsgroups is invalid to avoid spam.

JDT2Q