1985 245 Wagon Tailgate Rattle

Tailgate's rattling like crazy when I drive down the road. I tightened the catch bar for the door latch which was loose, but no help. My friends riding in the car yesterday said they can see it shimmy as it rattles. I opened the door and couldn't get movement by trying to shake it or make the top hinges rattle.

Visual inspection makes me suspect maybe some cushions are missing? There are I think 2 rubber cushions I saw on either side of the door, but along the bottom edge I saw a series of holes that seem to be where cushions could go.

Can someone please tell me if there is a common cause for back door rattles and how many door cushions should be on the tailgate?

Thanks!

Jamie a.k.a "Volveaux" on the other boards.

Reply to
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Ours is a '93, and the tailgate is a slightly different design, but for what it's worth, there are two rubber cushions on the bottom edge, each about 90 mm from the sides of the tailgate. There are no cushions on the vertical edges.

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Thanks Andy, I am thinking I may need to inspect the latch, as there is something broken in there. In order to position the catch before closing the door, I have to pull on the inside handle. Perhaps this is the culprit.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

The rear wiper functioning proper? Have seen the wiper motor become unbolted? Turning it on should tell you if that may be the culprit.

Reply to
Joe D