1985 Volvo 240 - Austin (know a mechanic?)

I have a 1985 Volvo 240, and it won't start. It might have been run out of oil, or it may be another problem completely. I've checked the plugs, and they are fine. It tries to turn over, and every now and then it does, but it's a weak rumbling that quickly dies.

I'm almost positive it's going to need looked at, but I don't know of a reliable Volvo mechanic in Austin. Does anyone have any recommendations?

/Xian/

Reply to
Xian

If it tries to turnover and only does rarely, then I'd look for a weak battery (try jump-starting if you didn't tried that already), or a weak starter motor (which can also sometimes be helped by jump-starting).

A shop will have to tell you if it's the battery or starter motor, but that's an easy decision if you have a bit of test equipment.

Hopefully you don't have major engine mechanical problems.

Sorry I don't know the Austin mechanics - maybe someone does.

Bruce

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ To send email, remove all < > and [ ] and the junk ~ between: [brucepick1] < a~t > [comcast.net]

Xian wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Pick

Reply to
Xian

Xian,

Considering your latest posting, you probably do need a good mechanic.

Just to eliminate the easiest thing to check, you can test or replace the 30 Amp. ignition system fuse located in the engine compartment. From the battery's + terminal, follow the thinner red wire back along the fender wall till it comes back up, to a small whitish fuse holder. It is on the fender wall, about even with a point just in front of the ign. coil. If the fuse is bad, or has dirty contacts, the engine won't run. I've had them fail twice in about 400,000 mi. of Volvo 240 driving in two cars. Both times fixed just by wiggling it in the holder. One time I replaced an age-ruined holder, though it still worked OK.

From the symptoms you gve, it seems more likely that one of the two fuel pumps has failed or partially failed (giving weak pressure). One pump is in the tank, the other just outside the tank. It's also possible that a relay operating a pump has failed, or - as happened in my '86 240 - the the electrical terminals for the in-tank pump simply rusted away. The pump mount with terminals is on the top of the tank, visible via the car's cargo area. Repair of a pump or rusted mount is not a job for beginners.

I would think any good mechanic should be able to test for fuel pressure

- as long as they don't hate foreign cars, which could be the case in Texas (sorry if that's not politically correct). If you have an in-tank pump problem, you probably should have a mechanic who knows Volvos, but if it's a relay or an outside pump, I'd think that a good general auto mechanic would do the job OK.

Bruce

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ To send email, remove all < > and [ ] and the junk ~ between: [brucepick1] < a~t > [comcast.net]

Xian wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Pick

When we lived in Austin the dealer, Roger Beasley, always did right by us on both purchases and repairs. That was 8 years ago though, so I do not know the current situation.

John

Reply to
John Horner