1986 240 34,000 miles - synthetic oil for auto transmission?

i just use a piece of vinyl hose. to change ATF: warm the engine! drain the fluid! crank the engine/drivedrain w/ the starter -- disconnect something in the ignition so it won't fire. let cool! close all the valves/stopcocks/etc.... fill w/ the specified amount of ATF. run to the nearest transmission rebuild shop!

transmissions are tricky. i have rebuilt more engines than i can remember, but only one tranny by myself (a mistake). feel free to baby it. having the ATF analyzed is never a bad idea.

Reply to
rwlangbauer

the torque converter drains to the sump. the engine does not need to be on to drain. in fact it is dangerous. i forget which yr we are talking about. i just gave basic at instructions. the geartronic is weird. the friend who helps me has a masters from Stanford in mechanical engineering & we don't want to touch the geartronic. we'll just do an r & r. oh the " run to the nearest transmission rebuild shop!" was just a joke. if you have the BW it is bulletproof.

Reply to
rwlangbauer

why do i bother? oh, right beacause my neice cares & i will get punched in the gonads. i have her this weekend, so ----. the BW's on

240's used type F. newer Volvos use Mercon (Dextron II, III, IV). i race so i just use what my suppliers/owners give me. ok, wrong again. i tend to use Castrol (they are a little company based in Long Island) products. i also prefer gas from Shell. i doubt it matters much. ATF does expand, but only in comparision to oil & brake fluid. i use -5/90 oil (find that if you can) & dot 5.3. 10/40 & dot 3 will be fine if you keep it below 100 mph. changing ATF can get boring. it's why we have children. yes i would change the coolant. not because it has any value, but it is a fun way to spend a weekend w/ friends. i do many purposeless things.

you have a fine car

Reply to
rwlangbauer

Coming in a bit late here, but don't discount stories about synthetic oil causing leaks - in cases where the car had lots of miles with non-synthetic oil in it. We had it happen with our 240 - with synthetic *blend* no less. If the engine has no crud in it you're probably ok.

Reply to
Leftie