1986 240 dl is making a whistling noise.

Well, I just had a spark plug thread rethreaded due to a crossthread by the old mechanic. Seems like that will be ok. But now, Earlier today took the 86' volvo 240 for a spin, and it starts to make a loud whisling noise when accelerating. It sound pretty bad too. Any Idea of what this could be? snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
chibahawk

Belts squeeling?

Reply to
James Sweet

Could be caused by spark plug not seating/sealing properly or intake leak.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Well, I just drove it around the block to try and find out what's wrong, it sounds like water flowing or air blowing. Sounds like (csshhhhh). The car has full power, it accelerates strongly, just that sound is there. One thing I do know, there's too much oil in it right now because I added 1 quart too much by accident and it's above the normal mark on the dipstick. Maybe if I get the oil back to normal level it will stop. Any thoughts?

Reply to
chibahawk

If it's speed dependant, I had a 122 that did the same thing. It howled/whined/whistled on acceleration and calmed down at cruise. It turned out to be the center support bearing for the driveshaft.

Old Dad

Reply to
Old Dad