1986 240 DL - Won't start

Last night I drove to taco bell, went through the drive through. I was so hungry I stopped in the parking lot to eat. 5 minutes later I try to start up, no ignition.(no start) Radio, open door signal and lights work though. I had to get a tow back home.

What could this be, the starter?

How much would this be to get fixed at a volvo garage? Or how difficult could it be to try and fix myself?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
DJ SIEGE

Sorry to say, you're not nearly specific enough.

If engine does not turn over (no chug-chug when you turn the key) then you have a battery or starter motor problem. Battery is about $60-100, starter motor is more like $300 installed. Not a very easy job. You can use a rebuilt or one from a junker, but I found no cheap solution for a dead starter.

If engine turns over but does not catch, then you must have a fuel or spark problem. Easily fixed versions of these:

1) Bad ingition system fuse (0r bad contact in the fuse/holder). It's a white plastic holder, about 1 foot rear of the battery, on the fender wall. Handle with care as it has two positive wire leads; either will ground to anything if they come loose. 2) Fuel pump relay kicked loose from its wire plug-in. Located in front of front passenter's right foot, on the firewall. An angry passenger kicked mine loose a couple times. Or the relay could be dead. Other trouble sources: bad computer, bad in-tank or out-of-tank fuel pump (you have one of each). All these are jobs for a knowledgable shop and will cost some good money.

Bruce Pick

DJ SIEGE wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Pick

Well, you can go nearly anywhere in a Volvo, so why not Taco Bell??

More seriously, I do recall someone who tried to start their auto trans. Volvo with the transmission in "Drive" and asked me to go have a look to see what was wrong with it. Start in Park or Neutral, and if a standard, I believe you must step on the clutch pedal.

Bruce

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ To send email, remove all < > and [ ] and the junk ~ between: [brucepick1] < a~t > [comcast.net]

DJ SIEGE wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Pick

Shift or Automatic. If shift did you try to start under tow. You went to Taco Bell in a Volvo.

Reply to
noreply

Bruce Pick wrote in news:6eadnS-qd6zBd5 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Must be the starter.?

Reply to
DJ SIEGE

I understand - no sound at all when you turn the key.

In that case, it's a starting system problem: Either the battery, the starter motor, or the switching / wiring that make the starter motor turn. Could also be that the alternator has died (or the wiring to/from the alternator), and so your battery was not being charged.

Jump-starting the battery is a low-cost way to see if you can get going. If you try this, be sure to let the "good" car run for 15-20 minutes with your car completely shut off. Then, with the good car NOT RUNNING, try to start yours. With luck, it will start, and you can at least get to a shop or to a friend with a voltmeter tester, to find the source of your problem.

Starting your (disabled) car with the good car STILL RUNNING can burn out the good car's alternator. A little-known fact, but true, as the alternator will try to supply 100-200-300 or more amps needed to start your car. Alternators are only built to provide about 60-80 amps (depending on model), which is why you can burn out the alternator that way. A good battery can easily supply 600 or even 800 amps.

Reply to
Bruce Pick

Having been the victim of my own forgetfulness AND having pointed this out to several sheepish stranded motorists I must concur with noreply and expand: if your transmission is not properly engaged in the appropriate gear the starter system will not function at all.

For example, you drive away from the pimply teenager at the Taco Bell window and, overcome by hunger, you pull into a spot and shut the car off WHILE STILL IN GEAR. If the car is in gear then turning the key will have no result whatsoever, not a click, not a hum, not turning over...NOTHING. My friend was "stranded" this way and left his 240 parked at side of the road for 2 weeks while he contemplated getting rid of it instead of getting involved in an expensive diagnostic/repair job. He felt pretty foolish when I pointed out the car was in gear and it fired up right away when he shifted into park.

Twice I have been flagged down for a boost at the mall and pointed out to the driver that their car was still in gear. This error can only be made in an automatic car since (I think) manual transmissions require you to step on the clutch to start.

First time I made this mistake I had my dad's Mercedes (without permission) and I spent 40 minutes parked thinking I was gonna die. Then I put it in gear and drove home.

blurp

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:12:56 GMT, the illustrious "noreply@invalid" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

blurp wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hot Damn! That worked. I just shifted it back and forth,and then to park , and it friggin started! Thank you.

This group is the greatest.

Reply to
DJ SIEGE

You're the greatest also. And, you now have a pretty decent troubleshooting guide for whenever you or a friend ahs a car that won't start. Makes you even greater? Bruce

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ To send email, remove all < > and [ ] and the junk ~ between: [brucepick1] < a~t > [comcast.net]

DJ SIEGE wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Pick