1987 240DL Wagon Strut Replacement

Question:

I've ordered (and received) the strut mounts for this wagon (upper), but was told by a good friend to replace "everything" if I replaced the upper strut mounts. Any tips as to exactly "everything" is? Shocks is a given, but is there anything else I should replace while it's being done?

Thanks!!

Ross McCloud Norfolk, VA snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (email response is fine..)

Reply to
rossy

Avoid polyurethane bushings, they will make the ride very rough. Remember, you will need a front-end alignment when all the parts are replaced.

Brick_0

Reply to
Brick_0

You should check the condition of the spring seats (if you don't clean the drains they tend to rust out). If they are in bad shape there are replacement seats that aren't too difficult to install if you'll have the strut assembly apart. Other than that there's nothing that's going to be easier in the "while you're at it" category and there's no good reason to do the ball joints or tie rod ends unless there's any play in them (on the older models, '75-78 IIRC, you needed to take the strut apart to do the ball joints, but not on an '87).

Bill

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley