1987 740 GLE -- Weatherstripping on windshield -- alternatives

I have found a site that sells used chrome/black weatherstripping off of Volvos. Has anyone replaced their OEM windshield weatherstripping with an alternative, like all black rubber and no chrome?

I took off my strips last night because the plastic/rubber was so damaged I wanted to remove only the rubber and replace it. In the meantime I destroyed many clips that mount the strips. I know they slide off, but some were already broken so I removed them all.

So, my choices are:

1) purchase new clips and order used replacement OEM strips

2) purchase new clips and buy just the rubber that can be glued onto the existing strips

2) Find an all black replacement that will go where the chrome went and use this instead. Instead of hard chrome with a rubber edge, this would be soft rubber all around.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

OK, the plan dujour is to replace the glass first. I removed all traces of old rubber from the chrome trim. I bought new clips and will install the chrome strips and clips over the new glass and then intead of having rubber will use the sealer from the hardware store specifically designed for this area. I want to reduce wind noise and keep out water while not creating an adhesive that will glue the strips to the chassis. If I glue them, I won't be able to remove them next time.

Reply to
jamiebabineaux