1987 740 In-tank fuel pump question

I've been reading here and on the brickboard about the in-tank fuel pump, the filter sock and the bellows hose.

Sometimes when I get to about 1/3 tank of gas and make a right turn, the car sputters until I straighten out, then it goes back to normal.

I want to inspect the in-tank assembly to see if the joiner hose has split and is allowing air in, or maybe the sock is plugged and needs replacement. While I am there, I may just spend the $35 and replace the in-tank pump.

After reading a lot about this, I can't determine what needs to be disconnected under the car?

Can this entire procedure be done via the trunk access panel, or must something (what?) be disconnected under the car?

Thanks, JB

Reply to
Jamie

I don't know about the 740, but in my '89 240 wagon, the top of the fuel tank is accessable from above, and I don't have to disconnect anything under the car...

Reply to
Perry Noid

If you have access to a lift then remove the fuel fill frangible coupling (rubber hose). With that out of the way everything else can be serviced through the access hole. Otherwise bungee cord the filler hose back out of the way, just makes the job more fiddly.

Bob

Reply to
User

Thanks all. I was trying to figure out how in the world the filler hose could affect the in tank sending unit.

User wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

It is easier to disconnect the hoses and wires from a 744 than from a

244.

That isn't going to be your problem.

Your problem will come in removing and reinserting the pump and gague assembly.

It was a bear to remove and put in: had to tilt it "just so" in order to finesse it out.

Be careful with the wiring to the pump: I accidentally detached mine and had to solder it back on.

Reply to
zencraps