1987 Volvo 740 GLE - 196,000 miles - $500

Hi, I am brand new to this forum and brand new to Volvos. I just bought a 1987 740 GLE for $500 from a Professor of Business at the university where I work. He bought it new and I picked it up today. He has service records for I think about the first 150,000 miles. I was happy to see that.

The car is gold, the exterior body integrity is solid, no dings, pings or dents. The paint is faded badly in several spots on the hood, roof and trunk. The headliner is gone, the right headlight hood is missing. Half of his white long-haired dog's hair is still in the car along with

1/8" of dander/dust.

One tire is about to peel off, the window weatherstripping is shot. One windshield wiper is dead and the a/c doesn't work. Sometimes the speedo works, sometimes the radio works. The seats are dirty.

Now to the engine - looks good except just below the top of the timing belt cover on the passenger side, between the cover and the block the engine is leaking oil like a burst artery. Mechanic I talked to says probably bad camshaft seal and we'll change the timing belt and crank seal. Or maybe a bad valve gasket. The oil smells like gas and there was a residue of white film on the gas cap.

The best part - I bought this car today and LOVE IT! I read so many stories of how great this car is, and if I can stop the leak and there is no major engine damage - I am going to have fun whipping this old tank into shape!

If anyone has any tips on this model - please feel free to drop me a line.

Jamie Commerce, TX

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

Make sure you clean the flame trap, that's probably why the camshaft seal blew out. I would just replace the assembly, it's cheap.

For the rest of the car, it sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, it's a great car for someone who likes to do their own mechanical work, if you can find a U-pull yard with Volvos you'll be all set.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks! I was reading up on those flame traps. I'll try and locate it and see about replacing the assembly. I am going into Dallas for parts on Saturday.

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

Go to

and request a catalog, that's one of the first things any new Volvo owner should do.

Reply to
James Sweet

Great, thanks! I dropped the car off at the mechanic's this morning to assess the oil leak. After this I can buy the seals/parts I need for him to do next week. Because I just got the car, I am going to have a mechanic give it a 'once over' and go ahead and replace the crank and camshaft seals, along with a timing belt for about $200 labor. I probably could tackle this myself, but I'll let the guy do it in case he uncovers other things.

When I drove the car home last night the headlights worked. Then a light came on the dash that I guess means a light is burned, because the headlights stopped working.

The wipers don't work either. I think I need to check fuses. As soon as it stops raining, I am going to clean and detail the car, clean the engine, and go over every inch of this car.

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

In addition to the flame trap, the ventilation hose connects to a plastic oil-air separator box at the block, under the intake manifold. That also becomes sludged and is better replaced than cleaned, at least every 200K miles. ;-)

It is very possible that cleaning out the engine ventilation and pushing the cam seal back in place will fix the leak, but since the timing belt is likely overdue for replacement you may as well replace the seal and change the belt. The good news is that the engine is non-interference and timing belt failure doesn't damage anything. There aren't many timing belts that are as easy to replace as the one on the B230F, either. That is one rugged engine.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I forgot to mention - the dead wiper is usually where the wiper arm attaches to the post. Unscrew the nut at the base of the arm and you will probably see the tiny splines are stripped on the post. You can get a replacement from a wrecking yard and put a couple hour's work into it or you can try cleaning the mating surfaces with brake cleaner and putting Lok-Tite on the joint. My Lok-Tited wiper has worked for a few years, but now I'm cautious not to turn the wipers on until I'm certain they aren't going to fight ice.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The bulb failure warning is a bit pesky, if the headlights quit working then aside from the fuses, the first thing I'd check is the bulb failure sensor. If you pull out the fuse panel (the whole thing slides forward and lifts out) you'll find a big red can plugged into it. Pull that out and you can pop the cover off with a small flathead screwdriver. Inside you'll find a set of round circuit boards which occasionally crack the solder joints and cause lights to stop working. If you resolder those, or find a TV repairman to do it for you you can save a lot of money over buying a new $$$ sensor.

Cleaning the engine is a worthwhile project, it's often a nasty job on a neglected car but when you're done it's much easier to spot leaks and other problems and oil degrades plastic and rubber parts including wiring insulation. Check the condition of the engine harness, the ones made in the 80's tend to rot out, it's the sort of thing that will suddenly leave you dead in your tracks if it happens, it's the only big problem I've ever had with mine.

Reply to
James Sweet

OK, we're in good shape!

Update: Headlights and wipers -- blown fuses. Replaced those. Yes, the wiper arm nut was loose, I tightened that and replaced the blades/brackets.

Replaced 1 high-beam headlight.

Changed spark plugs! Oh what a difference!

Changed plug wires.

Replaced Flame Trap Assembly -- gooey, gunky white stuff and grease.

Degreased engine and blasted with car wash hose. Started right up!

Cleaned dash board and console. Looks VERY sharp!

Washed exterior.

Here's the cool part. I rented a Rug Doctor and upholstery attachment and cleaned seats and carpet. WOW! They look brand new!

----take bucket of warm water and add 1 capful laundry liquid. Don't wet fabric, but scrub every square inch creating a foam on the surface. Use the rug doctor with hot clear water to rinse until water is clear. For the carpets I diluted degreaser with water, pre-sprayed and rinsed clear. Talk about an interior that looks brand new!

I removed the old tint and glue. I can see outside now.

Lubricated sun roof - works fine.

Replaced dying battery.

I think that's all I have done this weekend. Whew!

Oh - got up at 5:00 AM and drove 1 hour to Dallas to buy seals from the dealer. Came home, started car and noticed the leak was coming from the BACK of the engine too! Rear main seal! Why didn't the mechanic see this??????????

Now I have to go BACK and get another seal. I have a mechanic going to change all seals mentioned plus timing belt and tensioner for $320. + parts.

I am whooped, but now she's one clean machine.

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

Amazing how fast those things fix up isn't it? If you keep it up, you might just get another 200K out of it, maybe more.

Reply to
James Sweet

Question: One mechanic I talked too said I can get a timing belt and other things after market, but be sure to get my crankcase seal, camshaft seal and intermediate seal from the dealer. That's fine, but the dealer is over an hour away.

Is it critical to get seals from a dealer? I don't want to risk my engine on cheap-o parts, but if seals are seals...

Please advise.

Thanks!

PS: Pics to come tomorrow.

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

The rear seal normally just gets pushed out by the crankcase pressure. Now that is fixed, I think it is possible to push the seal back in with a long screwdriver through one of those screened openings in the bottom of the bell housing IIRC. I helped a friend do it once but I wasn't close enough to the action to see just what he was doing. But I did a bang-up job of holding the flashlight!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I haven't fixed the seals yet, going to do that this week.

I removed the oil/air separator this morning, I poured degreaser in it, then used hot soapy water to rinse it. I shook so much gunk and chunks out.

I let it dry a short while then re-installed it.

Question: Is there anything inside of this box that could trap water? I was 99% sure it was dry when I put it back on, but then the car began to run funny. It would idle then die. Then I couldn't give it gas without killing it.

I had a bad plug wire yesterday that could be a problem, I am swapping out today. If anyone knows about this oil/air box and cleaning it with soap and water - please advise.

If it's just a hollow box I am OK.

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

I've never had a problem with getting seals elsewhere, I believe the ones that IPD and a few of the online places sell are the OEM brand.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's just a hollow box with some baffles in it. How are the vacuum lines? If they're dried out you may have cracked one by disturbing it.

Reply to
James Sweet

That's very possible. I replaced the plug wires (again), since they were under warranty. One was bad out of the box so I made sure those were replaced.

Still bad idle, I can give it gas and it runs OK, but no idle and sputters when I pump the pedal.

I agree I could have disturbed a vacuum hose. But, I can't see anything.

Here's a good one: while removing the breather box I accidently started the car! Can you believe that because the wire housing on the starter wires was broken, they touched and I hotwired the thing! She didn't completely start- I moved my arm when I heard the noise. So, I unplugged the negative battery cable.

Tomorrow I'l get a new breather box and see what happens. If nothing, then I'll ask the mechanic to look at the vacuum lines.

I was so scared I trapped water in the breather box and sent it into the engine. Well, after we change the seals I'll change the oil and filter.

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

Also, I noticed there was no O-ring under the breather box, so when I replaced it it might not seal like it should.. Still, I don't know if that would cause a problem.

We'll see with the new box.

Reply to
jamiebabineaux