1988 240 no start, can't find problem!

Hello.

Wonder if anyone has an idea on this one. Car is a 1988 Volvo 245 (GL, auto trans).

Last week or so, the car runs really rough for about 3-5minutes. Very rough idle, not very much power. After it starts to heat up, the idle comes back and the power band is back, the car runs just fine. Excellent in fact.

I brought the car home Thursday night, car was running great. Got in the thing Friday morning. It took a couple of extra cranks to get the thing to catch, but the idle was actually pretty nice. Then, I put it in gear, and it died. No luck re-starting, and still no luck today.

It's very, very cold out today, so without a garage, I've not had too much ability to get outside to diagnose the car. I have looked at the fuses, and they are in great condition and seem to be making good contact. Looked at the fuel pressure relay, it too looks great.

Any ideas of what to check next? I have tried just cranking and cranking the car. It is turning over just wonderfully, but it will not catch at all.

Where should I start checking? Any ideas?

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Chris Mears Charlottetown, PEI

1988 Volvo 245GL "Daisy"
Reply to
chris mears

Is this a US market car, or elsewhere? If it's US/Canada then it's got LH-Jet, otherwise who knows.

First thing I'd check is the coolant temperature sensor, the one for the fuel injection. It's under the intake manifold in the cylinder head. I think '88 is early enough that the engine wiring harness is one of the rotting ones if it hasn't been replaced so inspect the wiring first. If it's crumbling then replace the harness before you proceed, many times that will fix a number of problems.

Reply to
James Sweet

Chris,

Had a very similar problem recently with my '86 240 DL sedan. Assumed fuel pump relay, fuel filter, or pump itself. However, mechanic diagnosed it as worn fuel pressure regulator, replaced, and starts on a dime now and runs stronger and quieter. $210 total in Philadelphia. This also contributed, he says, to poor fuel economy (15 mpg; should be

25 now). Hope this helps.
Reply to
rogadelic

So this is ONE MORE THING for me to check (LOL).

Any ideas on how to diagnose this if it's bad? I hear you on the poor fuel mileage, I can see the unburned fuel at the tailpipe, it's hard to miss.

I have replaced the fuel pump relay and the car is starting fine. It is still rough at the beginning, almost missing, which I think is due to being too rich. I have tried adjusting the idle screw, but this has no effect on the overall running (odd eh?). I unplugged the AMM and the idle actually improved noticeably.

All the injectors seem to be working and I'm going to swap out the plug wires next (cap, rotor, and plugs already done).

These cars, you've gotta love 'em. Good th> Chris,

Reply to
chris mears

Hmmm. I'd check into that further. Could be be your culprit.

Reply to
Tim McNamara