1988 740 Rear Suspension

Fellow Volvo Fanatics

Does anyone know what I would need to do to fit my 740 estate with self levelling suspension? Several years ago I had a 1989 740 which had it fitted as standard but my current car doesn't. I use the car for towing and, despite fitting rubber spring assisters, the rear suspension would be better a little higher when loaded up.

I suppose the other alternative I could look at is fitting some sort of adjustable gas assisted shock absorbers and pumping them up for towing. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Shuttleworth

Most people convert the other way around, I've seen tutorials out there so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what you'd need.

Have you looked into aftermarket overload springs?

Reply to
James Sweet

Cars with the Nivomat (self levelling) system use lighter springs that cars with the conventional shocks, and the Nivomat shock absorbers provide some of the springing function. However I've seen people just add the Nivomat shocks to the normal spring system and be happy with the results. So all you really need are the (expensive) Nivomat shocks, but to do it "right" you should change the springs too. Personally, if I was in your shoes, I'd get the shocks, then analyse whether the springs also need to be replaced after testing.

Reply to
Mike F