1989 240 DL Automatic....ENGINE SWITCH QUESTION

I want to put an engine in the volvo that has some huge power. I had read somewhere ...and I dont remember where...that a Mustang 5.0 engine fits with no modifications to the existing transmission...true?

Any suggestions on big engines I can throw into my 89 automatic volvo that wont require a new transmission? Thanks

Reply to
PETER MITCHELL

The only engine swap I'd attempt using the Volvo tranny is a turbo redblock from another Volvo. If you go V8 you really need to use the V8 tranny as well. I'm a big advocate of the turbos myself though, I hate V8's.

Reply to
James Sweet

You'd need a custom bell housing to mate the non Volvo engine to the Volvo transmission, which would probably cost more than a working transmission which would be matched to the engine.

Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
PETER MITCHELL

Modifying a tailshaft to suit a V8 transmission would be far easier and cheaper than trying to adapt a smaller transmission that is not adequate for the torque output of the engine.

I run a 350 chev with a T350 auto. Very easy conversion, although I'd choose a 4-speed auto if I was doing it from scratch.

Apparently the Ford 302W (5.0L) engine also fits okay with a suitable transmission.

Reply to
athol