1990 240 driver door don't lock

Hello, got a 240 wagon 1990 with power locks, and the driver front door doesn't lock - it locks/ unlocks the rest of the car, but the driver door never locks. Before I take apart the door again (just made the door handle work - had car about 1 month - door handle didn't work when I bought it), I just wanted to see if anybody has experience with power lock wiring or troubleshooting??? Never had power locks before......

thank you

Reply to
lolo

Well there's no power lock solenoid in the driver's door, there's just a linkage from the lock pull to the door latch, not much to it.

If you want to install a keyless entry, you can go to a junkyard and get a lock motor for that door out of any other door.

Reply to
James Sweet

Keyless entry? wowsa.

Ok, so if I want to fix it, its just adjustable like the door handle.... that's good, nice and easy. Keyless entry sounds cool, but I think I'll just adjust it up for now. Maybe if i find a volvo at the junkyard I will try it someday... for right now the power locks are enough, though - I've been driving a 1986 toyota truck base model for the last 7 years, so all this power lock, heated seats, power window, lumbar supports, air conditioning stuff seems all too luxurious to me right now. I don't know if I can handle keyless entry yet.... my head might explode.

thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for...

loren

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
lolo

I can speak about the mechanism on early '80s 240's: I assume yours is the same.

If the door won't lock, but the other doors lock / unlock when the key is turned, then the problem has got to be away from the key, probably a messed up linkage somewhere, or a bad bit where the door and side pillar physically lock up.

Just take a close lock at it, should be pretty apparent.

Reply to
zencraps

There's not really anything to adjust, it's just a metal rod that clips to the lock mechanism at the door latch and runs upward to where the plastic lock pull screws on, that's all it is.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm not exactly sure what the question is. There are two switches on the driver's door lock. One switch is in the rod between the lock button and the lock mechanism. Pushing down or pulling up either locks or unlocks all the doors depending on which way the lock rod is travelling. The second switch surrounds the lock cylinder inside the door and activates the relay to lock or unlock all the other doors and the trunk/tailgate. If this is what you have then it's what you're supposed to have. If the locks don't perform this way then there is a bad switch or broken wire inside the door.

Bob

Reply to
User

It was my fault! When I adjusted the outside door handle so it worked again, I got a little overzealous and tightened it too far, therefor not allowing the pushrod to move all the way down and engage with the latch locking mechanism. I must have looked at it for 15 minutes and messed with the pushrod switch and everything else before I got it. So it works now...

Thanks to everybody who gave me ideas. It just didn't seem to me like the two could be connected, but..... they are actually, physically connected to one another. Who knew??

lo

User wrote:

Reply to
lolo