1990 240 gauge install using turbo wiring harness and tach

OK, I have a 1190 240 DL wagon in which I just installed a tachometer. I bought both instrument clusters from a turbo 240, so I put the tach where the clock was, and have the oil pressure gauge and the voltmeter which are not installed yet, but connected together with the turbo harness. The turbo harness makes it much easier, because I can tell exactly which wires do what. blue/red is power, green is oil pressure, brown is lights and black is ground.... right?

Does anybody know which terminals on the back of the tach go where? I can at least ground the gauges and light them through those, and connect the voltmeter to the Ignition Only wire on the stereo for power.... There are three terminals in this shape; _ | | basically an upside down U shape....

I am trying to find the little harness that would go to the small clock, but something tells me I won't end up finding one, soooooooo, if someone has one, all I need is for you to tell me what color wires go where, and I can probably figure out the rest. For instance; the horizontal terminal at the top goes to a brown wire, the vertical terminal on the driver side goes to a blue/red wire, etc.

Or, if there are serious issues with my plan, someone let me know so's I don't blow up my vehicle, mmmmK?

thanks

P.S. I have the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge and that should be pretty easy, once I get the adapter, provided that I can ground and light it off the tach.

Reply to
LoloMcDoo

There were three wires on that plug. the harness colors were red, green and black. They correspond to the three pins coming off the circuit board that the tach plugs into when you replace the clock. You'll have to trace them from the board but one was power from the dimmer rheostat, one is B+ and the other was a ground to the clock and clock illumination.

Bob

Reply to
User

The green one is for the bulb holder and the dash illumination, the red wire is your + wire and the black is the ground. I asked someone on ebay who was selling a tach/ small clock/ harness combo. By looking at the picture they took of the harness, I found that the red goes on the horizontal, the green on the passenger side vertical, and the ground to the driver side vertical terminal. Obviously I don't want to wire the voltmeter into the B+, or it will be on all the time, so I just have to find an ignition wire, which should be pretty simple...

I hooked the voltmeter up to the B+ to test it, and it works, but I could only get the light in the oil pressure gauge to turn on, not in the voltmeter... Maybe it is because it's a turbo wiring harness, and there is no third gauge, kinda like christmas lights? should I connect the loose brown and black wires at the end to form a complete circuit?

At least I got a reading on the voltmeter and a light in the oil pressure gauge. I guess it's a start.... I can't start the car because the head is still at the machine shop, etc.

Thank you for your help!

loren

Reply to
lolo