1990 740 transmission problem

I have a problem with my auto gearbox and was wondering if anybody had a similiar problem and how it was resolved, the gears change ok but seems to rev high before changing, its as if kickdown is on all the time, when reversing I have to rev to about 4000rpm and even then it only goes back slowly, on the open road it accelerates ok but still revs high and is difficult to keep at a constant speed , thought it might be the clutch but if I kickdown it accelerates no problem even on a hill..thanks in advance.....

Reply to
Sean

The *best* case scenerio is you are dangerously low on transmission fluid. Don't drive it until you get it diagnosed.

Reply to
mjc1

I've checked the fluid level all,ok.......

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
Sean

Reply to
mjc1

I had a similar effect in a 244 with AW-70, twice. The cable which transmits the accelerator signal from throttle to the gearbox was sticky. Accelerating would pull on that cable just OK but the spring which should move back to idle position couldn't make it.

Open the bonnet, locate the throttle, note the cable going to your accelerator pedal and the other going down to the gearbox. Turn the wheel mounted to the throttle (same as accelerating), let it flip back and watch the connection to the gearbox: it should follow immediately. If it doesn't replace that cable (~200 EUR at the shop 10 years ago).

Bye, Vitus

Reply to
Vitus Jensen

I'm sure we all thought of the kickdown cable immediately, but most of us dismissed it as the culprit because of the behavior in reverse. Did your car do that as well...?

Reply to
mjc1