1990 740GL: Air-bound Power Steering pump??

Hello,

My power steering started to die at low RPMs, so I tried changing the fluid. Didn't help. So, I got a used pump at a junkyard, and installed it.

This pump doesn't seem to work at all (my old pump was pushing fluid very well when I replaced the fluid).

Before I return this pump to the junk yard as dead, I want to make sure that there isn't any way the pump could become "air bound." In other words, I'm wondering if this pump is ok, but there is so much air in the system that it can't push any fluid. Is there a way to bleed the system and get some fluid into this dry pump? Or should a working pump take care of this automatically?

Thanks, Jay R.

Reply to
JayR

electricsheep

Problem resolved. I installed a bad junkyard pump initially. Replacement worked fine and sucked down nearly a quart of ATF.

Jay R.

Reply to
JayR