1990 740GL bent spindle?

I recently acquired the car, and found it has a gentle but constant pull to the left while driving, that wasn't particularly noticeable during the giddy excitement or the initial test drive. I checked for the usual things; uneven tire pressures, conical tire wear, bent control arms / strut rods, or worn balljoints, and have narrowed it down to the spindles themselves.

Using a highly-scientific method (turning the wheels to the side so I can see, and trying to slide a roll of electrical tape between the strut body and the lip of the stock 15" steel rims), I've decided that one of them has been bent, likely from hitting a curb in the snow. But which one? Either the right side was hit at the top, or the left side at the bottom (most likely), upsetting the camber settings and creating the pull. The wheels all spin straight, so if any of them were also bent, they've already been replaced.

Anyone here have a similar car with stock steel rims that could check theirs and see if either of my measurements is somewhat "normal"? It would help to know which side is bad before I go looking for replacement parts.

FYI: The roll of tape is 19mm thick. Can't fit it in on the right side. Eyeball says the gap is about 2mm too narrow. Left side goes in with 2-3mm clearance.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

I've seen the strut tubes get bent from hitting a curb. I suggest taking the car to an alignment shop and have them check it out. It's pretty hard to measure yourself, there isn't much nearby that makes a precise enough reference.

Reply to
James Sweet

"MasterBlaster" > Left side goes in with 2-3mm clearance.

Switched the fronts side-to-side last night. No change, so I put them back.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

My 1995 940 shows slightly less that a 19mm roll of tape thickness between rim and strut.

I'd say the relationship between strut and rim should be pretty fixed and easy to check.

If its had a big enough wack to bend the stub axle at the base or the strut tube, could have other problems too. In my (parents) first car I hit a curb after swerving, buckled a wheel and bent a steering arm (repaired by dealer). About 5 years later I was replacing shocks and noticed the bottom swivel ball joint was bent aswell. But likley you will take that from the donor if you replace the strut from a breakers.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

The strut tubes seem to be the weak spot on a 700/900, they tend to bend before the other components, but when you get one from a salvage yard it normally will have the other bits and pieces attached. Do make sure you get one from the right year, they changed the hub design in '88 or '89 to use a larger spindle and nut.

Reply to
James Sweet