1990 760 Turbo wagon dies at random!

"Stroller" wrote: > This is going to sound like a repeat of an earlier situation > with another car. > > We have a 1990 760 Turbo (intercooler) wagon with 147k miles. > The vehicle will die at random, stop lights, freeway, city > streets, etc. It will usually start up once I coast to a > stop, or it will take a minute or so before it starts. It can > go months before it dies, and then it may die every day for a > week or so. > > I've had 3 different mechanics try to solve the mystery. So > far, we have replaced: > > System relay > Air Mass Meter > Spark Plugs > Cap & Rotor > Plug Wires > Speed sensor > Power Amp Ignition > TB Gasket (during cleaning I'm assuming) > > No luck with fixing the problem so far. Want to take a crack > at it? > > I just checked the fault codes and they read 2-3-2 & 3-1-1. > > Thanks for the help!

I recently had the same issue with random stalling in my 1999 Volvo S70 Turbo w/55,000 mi. I went to the Volvo dealership parts dept. and bought a new fuel filter [$45], fuel pump relay[$85], and fuel injection relay[$36]. I took the parts to Midas for installation and also had a throttle body cleaning[$79] done.

Not only did it solve the problem, but I?m getting much better gas mileage and the car accelerates much much better.

-Datakix

Reply to
datakix

I don't see fuel pump relay on there, that's the most common cause of these just stalling, unless the tach needle drops like a rock in which case it's ignition related. The relay has a circuit board inside that can be resoldered, or you can replace it but if you know someone who can solder that's a lot cheaper.

Reply to
James Sweet